U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, June 18th, 2022 7:52 PM

Closed

Official speed is 600Mbps but I am only getting 200

I am using a desktop with a wireless adapter. I always got 600 but for the last several weeks only 200. Even my cellphone pulling 200 when I sit next to the modem that I am renting from Xfinity

So I called the technician he came over and he said this is normal because I am on a wireless adapter. And I said but it used to pull 600. There was nothing he could do and he left

Speed on xfinity app "speed to my gateway"  700mbps

Speed on cellphone LG G7 Thinq is 230 mbps

Speed on desktop screen using google test is 230 Mbps

I am not sure where the problem is. My wireless adapter is Linksys wusb6300   

https://www.linksys.com/us/networking-accessories/linksys-wusb6300-ac1200-wireless-ac-usb-adapter/p/p-wusb6300/

Max link rate is 867 Mbps

There is only 1 wall between Xfinity's modem and the desktop

Please help

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Problem is, AC wifi is only capable of delivering a real speed of around 200Mbps.  It is also a very congested protocol - all your neighbors have it, so the more interference you have the worse you are in regards to speeds.  Theoretically, it is capable of delivering around 1Gbps maximum, but I've never seen it even being 2 feet away from my router.

Wifi6 or the AX protocol delivers approximately 600Mbps, so you would get full speed IF both your Comcast modem and your wireless adapter were Wifi6 (AX).  It would surprise me if the Comcast modem was not AX - but I own all my own equipment so it's hard to tell.  If its a new gateway, it might be.  Your bottleneck would therefore be the AC wifi adapter depending on your gateway specs.

I also looked up your phone, and it is only capable of receiving AC Wifi, so 200Mbps on it, as well as your AC adapter are slowing you down.  

Alternatively, running a direct wire from your modem over to your desktop will deliver the maximum speeds up to roughly 1,024Mbps (maximum speed over cat5e).

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thanks

I checked my xfinity modem and here it is 

Voice and Data Modem

ARRIS GROUP, INC. model: TG4482A

I think it is WIFI AC not WIFI (AX)

If I buy one of these would it still help? or should I call xfinity want an upgrade to WIFI6?

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Adapter-Wireless-Internet-DWA-X1850/dp/B09B1CWLBK?&linkCode=sl1&tag=mattheavy-20&linkId=57bd0908053e45798025a39e99d354c6&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

842 Messages

That is a great question, @user_9fd237 . You can visit https://comca.st/3y40Ums to see what will work best for you and your home! 

(edited)

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityKimberlyB​ Kimberly the link you gave me is not working

It is trying but not get in to the page

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

I am sorry about that. Try https://comca.st/3N7mkTS to check on compatible modems.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Dena I still can not get in to that page

Is it possible to get the newest modem with Wifi6 (AX) by calling xfinity? I really need this new modem

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

2 years ago

802.11ac can do 600+.  Best I've gotten out of it is ~650, but I don't have the gear for a 160Mhz wide channel.  650 is on the high end though.  The general rule of thumb is 2/3s of the raw data rate is pretty good close to the router.  For AC wireless with a typical 80Mhz wide channel (most AC gear doesn't support 160Mhz wide channels) that's 866Mbs, so 650 is more like 3/4s.  If both ends support 160Mhz wide channels (or 80+80), the maximum for AC goes up to 1733Mbps raw data rate.  There are also a few devices that can do more than two spatial streams.  Some Intel based MacBook Pros have 3x3 AC radios that can do 1300Mbps raw data rate on an 80Mhz channel if the WiFi router or access point supports it.  But I'm pretty sure that USB stick adapter you're using and your phone have a regular 2x2 radio.

A new gateway may or may not help depending on what the problem is.  Have you tried testing with a wired connection to the gateway?  It's the quickest and easiest way to figure out if it's a WiFi problem or not.  If you get full speed from the desktop using an ethernet cable you know it's a WiFi problem.  If you get 230 or a little more you know there's something else is wrong.

There are a couple things that could have happened that could dramatically change your WiFi performance.  First is interference.  Someone moves in nearby, someone gets new stuff, or something breaks.  Maybe the power supply in your neighbor's (something) broke and now it's spewing garbage on the 5GHz band.  I read a story about some old guy with a failing tube TV in his kitchen who shut down cell phone service in his neighborhood every morning while he watched the news while eating breakfast a while back.  Same thing can happen to WiFi.

It's also possible your gateway is just being dumb.  Usually they default to "automatic" for both channel width and channel selection.  Sometimes they do stupid things when on automatic, like decide to switch to a 40Mhz or 20Mhz wide channel, switch to a congested one, or both.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@zandor60657​ Right, Apple makes superior products hands down.  I'm mainly using mid-range routers, but surely an ASUS ROG Rapture might give you those speeds you describe.  It all depends on the transmit and receive end.  It is a lot of hassle to rip into a laptop and find the perfect AC card that supports full MIMO.

Interestingly, I have found that switching router channels on my own tends to be a bit messy and might yield excellent results the first few hours, but then I'm reverted to very very slow speeds due to congestion.

The easiest way is to update hardware.  WiFi 6 is generally faster and more capable of delivering the desired speeds, although it will never be perfect one-to-one.  As time progresses, wifi speeds are catching up as new standards are developed.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here