E

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, September 5th, 2022 8:40 PM

Closed

Not getting the expected speed 1.2 gb

Hello I need help. I have been going on this with Xfinity tech support since Tuesday Aug the 26. I started by dropping off the cable service and upgrading from 600 MBPS to gig speed 1.2 at the local xfinity store The rep in the store made the changes to take affect on Wednesday. I checked the speed on Thursday and was only getting 600 something Mbps. So I contacted tech support and after a couple of hours and refresh and provisions i was getting up to 930 and nothing higher. So the scheduled a tech to come to my house for that Saturday. they came and checked out the line and they told me that the modem was the issue I have a Motorola MB8611 and a TP link AX3000 both capable of 2.4 gb. So I trouble contacting Motorola and finally I spoke with them and they had me go thru event logs and the told me that there is no issue with the modem and to tell tech that the modem in the event log is getting T4 timeout  and high amount number in the corrected column stating for loss packets. I contacted xfinity again and explained to the rep the same info as the Motorola rep told me that she will send out a xfi modem to test at no charge. I get the modem 2 day later and had issues activating it. Finally after activating it with the xfinity rep I did a speed test and was still getting between 930 and 942 Mbps. Then this past Friday I contacted Xfinity gain and they sent out a tech yesterday Saturday. They told me that the line had issue and they will be sending an order to replace the cable I have RJ11. They told  that I would get a call sometime during the week from the installing contractor. Today Monday the 5th at 8 something they showed up with out a call and they did their thing and replaced the cable and burred it. I came and checked and the issue still is happening. I contact tech support again and they sent more test and longer wait times. I have talked to multiple techs and I'm tired of explaining the issue over and over. They are sending a tech out on Thursday in the afternoon. If someone has other answers or the same issue please help. My 930 Mbps are mostly the same hard wire or wireless with in the same room as the router. Also the same speeds average with the xfinity modem an my personal setup with the Motorola MB8611 with TP link Ax3000. Also my network card is  gig speed one using a Cat6 cable.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

2 years ago

... I did a speed test and was still getting between 930 and 942 Mbps. ...

With a Gigabit Ethernet adapter like the one you posted the property sheet for, and with the Gigabit ports on your router (see the "Ethernet Ports" specs on https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax3000/#specifications), 940 Mbps is the most you can expect due to Ethernet protocol overhead. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-most-from-xfinity-gigabit-internet-service. To exceed that all devices from the gateway or modem up to and including the computer would need to have at least 2.5 Gbps ports.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

196 Messages

2 years ago

That looks like expected results for a gigabit NIC.  You will not get 1200 on a gigabit NIC.  You need a 2.5Gb or faster.  Some WiFi setups can also pull it off under near ideal or ideal conditions.

If you think you have a 2.5Gb or faster NIC in your computer and 2.5Gb all the way to the modem you should check your actual link speeds.  It's not unheard of for auto negotiation to misbehave and give you a slower actual speed.  Looks like you have a Windows machine, so open up Control Pane > Network and Internet > Network Connections, then right click and select "status".  You'll see something like the attached screen shot and need a speed of 2.5 Gbps or higher to get 1200.  If it says 1Gb everything is working as expected based on your speed test.

You'll also want to check the link speed between the router and modem, but I don't have your equipment so I can't give you a decent description of how to do that.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@zandor60657​ Hello, So I checked the link speed on ethernet and on wireless and I have attached the pictures. I also located the model of the NIC. Let m know if you see anything different. Thanks  

Above speed test via ethernet 
Below is via Wireless
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here