rockycat2011's profile

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Friday, June 2nd, 2023 3:16 AM

Closed

No xfinity network on laptop

My Android cellphone & iPad connect fine on wifi, from any room, but my laptop doesn't display any xfinity networks including my own wifi, even if i am using it right next to the modem.

I have rebooted everything with no results.

I can connect with ethernet but not wifi.

I have the latest Realtek drivers on the Realtek adapter RTL8188CE that supports both IPv4 and 6.

I moved to a new address, within the same area, and had no problem previously accessing Comcast Wifi at my old address. I have a new Comcast modem, SSID and password which works fine on my cellphone and ipad and for guests.

But I can't even see any xfinity or xfinitywifi accounts on my laptop. I can see neighbors but not the ones with xfinity/comcast. 

Does anyone have a working solution?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

1 year ago

I'll post the obvious here, but I'm sure you've probably already checked this. Make sure you haven't accidentally put your laptop in airplane mode. In the latest generation laptops, that's almost always a Function + some key. Your Internet status in the System Tray on the right should reflect the status if it is on. Rarer, but still shows up on some laptops, is a physical separate switch that only turns off the WiFi. I haven't seen that in a while, but I've had a couple of laptops with such a switch. It was usually on the side when I had it.

(edited)

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

@NoGoodNamesLeft4Me​ 

Yes, I checked all that. No go.

The thing is I can turn ON wifi but can't see the Xfinity network. Something not communicating with it. Checked Firewall but thats not it.  And since nothing has changed on the laptop must be something in the new Comcast modem that doesn't agree with this laptop.

Really stymied here.

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

Is it possible that your wireless router has the 802.11n shut off? I have a set of 802.11g network cameras that would not connect to an 802.11ax router (even though the router had 802.11g compatibility turned on), so I set up an old 802.11g router in bridge mode. I'm guessing something like that is going on.

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

1 year ago

@rockycat2011 

Is your new Comcast "modem" an XB8 model ?

Expert

• 

104.9K Messages

1 year ago

@rockycat2011 

OK so you didn't answer but if it is, that Realtek WiFi adapter card won't work with it in the XB8's default WiFi mode. That card is a dinosaur. It doesn't speak the latest WiFi standard as the XB8. If they can't speak to each other, the laptop won't even be able to see the Broadcast name (SSID)

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

1 year ago

Hi, @rockycat2011. Thank you for creating a new post. I see you've done the usual troubleshooting checks and steps with your device. However, there could be a few variables involved. It would be helpful to know what modem or gateway you have as @EG brought up.

My sister had the XB6 but recently upgraded to the XB8 after some changes. All the devices connected except for her laptop just like in your case. She has an older gen Surface Pro (maybe the 1st or second to come out) which didn't have the upgraded software/drivers to even see the networks on her laptop. She ended up requesting another gateway at the store which resolved the issue. With that said, please let us know. We are here to help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here