J

Wednesday, September 4th, 2024 9:00 PM

No Coax hookup: Older mobile home

Just had to come back home from living in another state, didn't realize there wasn't a coax feed into the trailer as the interent from before was powered exclusively through CAT cables and run up to a dish of some kind. I was doing some research and it looks like the connections aren't how they used to be where if you spliced into another line it was effectively stealing, but with the connections now being tied to the equipment and account of the modem itself, is it possible now to install a splitter at a family members home, to run the coax cable a space down, and not be an active menace? Or am I completely wrong and its still just jacking their connection. Neither of us know, and neither of us wants to A. Steal and B. ruin quality.

Perhaps it would just be best to wait on a tech to come out and install/reinstall/fix whatever happened to the coax connection to this home.

Already paid for service, picked up the gateway at the xfinity store, just [Edited: Language] for the time being without a way to hook the darn thing up, and it would be significantly faster to buy a 50 foot cable and a splitter.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106K Messages

15 days ago

Modern cable services have all been digitized so that they can't be stolen. Modems and cable boxes are required to be used and they are linked to individual accounts. Two accounts on one line can't happen. Your own line / feed and your own subscription to the service is needed.

3 Messages

@EG​ So if I am picking up what you are putting down. My entire idea is a flop, because you can't have 2 accounts on a single drop? I have my own service subscripton, and I have my own gateway modem device, all paid for by me, just not a way to hook into a coax cable currently, even though i am in comcasts service area. Seems to be the only trailer without one really.

Perhaps waiting for the techs is the option then hehe. Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106K Messages

15 days ago

Right. Even if a tech / serviceability rep determines that the service can be physically extended to the trailer, there may be a fee for the line, equipment, hardware, and the labor that is needed. Good luck with it !

3 Messages

Thank you very much, appreciate the answer.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

15 days ago

My pleasure ! Best of luck with this !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here