kevwbuts's profile

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, October 22nd, 2022 5:23 AM

Closed

New xFi Gateway, WiFi not working because all devices say the password is incorrect even though I KNOW it is not wrong

I decided to start renting the xFi Gateway from Xfinity because I was tired of always being told to contact the manufacturer of my modem when I had issues with xfinity internet. I have the xFi gateway setup now and the Ethernet is working fine it seems, but several of my devices refuse to connect to the WiFi, claiming the password is wrong. I know for a fact the password is not wrong because I set it myself, and have inputted the password several times, via manual type and via copy and paste. The password is NOT wrong. I'm frustrated because now that I have this new gateway and cannot access wifi, it is honestly worse than my old modem/router. What do I do to fix this? I have searched the forums and all of the auto-responses seem the same, and are very unhelpful. 

I have already looked at this article. It is not helpful at all. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password. I already know how to change the password. I have changed it, and it is still not working.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

2 years ago

Hey, @kevwbuts! Thanks for posting on our Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear about your password issue. Definitely, not the experience we would like you to have after swapping devices. Let's try some basic troubleshooting steps to see if that helps. Have you tried forgetting the network on your devices and reconnecting to it? I would also recommend restarting your devices as well. Let me know if this helps or makes a difference. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

This is happening to me currently. Were you able to figure it out? 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi, @user_8b37c9. I see you may be having a similar issue with your network and equipment. I'll be glad to help. Can I have more details about your situation and the steps you have taken so far? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_8b37c9​ I rebooted my gateway and set my 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands to be separate SSID instead of the same. I can't say which really fixed it, but that is what I did and I haven't had the issue since. I think it was probably the reboot and possibly just a matter of time. It didn't persist after the first day. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thank you for following up on this topic @kevwbuts. It sounds like your scenario was due to what we call band steering. This is when you share the same network name for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on your WiFi. When you do this, it helps the xFi equipment optimize your connection by assigning the band that would provide the most optimal performance. I understand, however, there may be times you want your bands split, so you can select the band on your end. I recently broke this down in detail here https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/ring/6360505eb5284b6592d8ce40?commentId=6362f89692a15b227c27d499 which I think can help give you more insight about this process, how to set-up, and what to expect what you do. I hope this helps as well @user_8b37c9.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here