U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, August 28th, 2022 5:03 AM

Closed

New Personal Chromebook asking for signing through captivate portal

I have a brand-new Chromebook that has been updated to the most current release. I have been trying to access the internet (anything) on the device and it errors out saying DNS not found etc. There is a message that says I device may need to login to a server. This takes me to a Captive Portal Authorization where I can the www.gstatic.com DNS count no be found. This is for my home Wi-Fi with a new personal Chromebook that works on ALL other networks that I have tried it on. If works on a t-mobile hot spot and even the public xfinity Wi-Fi.

Why can't I connect to my home Wi-Fi? This is the only device with this problem. I do NOT have any type of authorization on my home network besides standard user ID / Password. I have tried neverssl.com and this did not work either. I have tried to restart and even reset the Chromebook as well as restarting the modem. This seems to be an Xfinity issue since it only happens when I am trying to connect on my personal network.

I can also see that the computer is connected when I open my xFi app on my phone and it appears there are no connection problems. Clearly there is something wrong and since this is only happening on my home network, I am going to assume it's a network setting or something that isn't letting the device through. 

I am desperate, please help!!!

I have already wasted hours trying to work through Chromecast help, google and Xfinity chat with no resolution.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

Hello there @user_e25d4a thank you so much for your post and for help with connecting your Chromebook to your home Wi-Fi.  There are a few things we can check for you. Chromebook users have reported similar issues that started after they upgraded to Chrome OS 88. Having not been impacted at all by this error on OS 86 if you are using Chrome OS 88 I would reach out to google for help with reverting or downloading the previous OS 86 if you are on Chrome OS 92, head over to the Wi-Fi settings and scroll down and click on expand network. Then, change ‘Name servers’ to ‘Google name servers’  some folks have reported success with that option. Also, make sure on the Xfinity side your Wi-Fi name is not hidden as some devices may not be able to connect to hidden networks. To check to see if you hid your In-Home Wi-Fi Network in the Xfinity app.

• Open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  • Navigate to Connect.
  • Select your network.
  • Select the pencil icon.
  • You'll see a new dialogue window. Uncheck Broadcast WiFi Name.
  • Select Apply Changes at the bottom of the dialog window.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here