U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, February 2nd, 2023 12:57 AM

Closed

New Outlet, MoCA, 2nd router? I'm so confused.

Hi, I really wish there were someone to talk to in person about this. I've called and been to the store and only get conflicting information and little help. 

My cable was brought into my attic where my office resides, it connects to my modem/router and my desktop is directly plugged in. This provides wifi to the ground floor and rest of my house. It does a decent job and I haven't really had issues. I'm running Sonos on all three floors nicely and my tvs work fine. That's really all I use.

Now I'm trying to run a second computer in my dining room on the wifi and am definitely having issues. The printer is flaky on the wifi and the connection to my remote desktop at work is bad. I really can't move my router in the attic around much, they only gave me a few feet of cord, and its best next to the puter.  I bought some wifi extenders, and realized all my outlets are horizontal on the floor and don't work! I did have one outlet on my fireplace mantle that I was able to try and just couldn't get it to help. 

I want to know if Xfinity can come and put a new outlet in my dining room. Then I need to know if I could add a second router and somehow tell it to broadcast the wifi downstairs in the same room next to the downstairs puter.  I don't really need my attic office router to provide wifi if I have it downstairs. My attic Sonos is all I have using wifi up there and it should be fine. I could plug the downstairs computer in directly and have stronger wifi for the printer and downstairs stuff where its needed most.

In reading the site on this topic I also hear of a MoCA adapter which is better than having two routers competing for the best signal. I could do this as well, but am thinking the former plan is better if I can shut the wifi off on the attic router.  I would still need an outlet brought in to the dining room for this. I have outlets in other rooms downstairs, however, I'm not convinced any of them work according to the mess of cables I see in my basement.

I would love to schedule someone to come out here and get this going for me. The store told me to buy a second router, I was hoping to buy everything I needed from Xfinity but I guess you can only rent?

One of the phone agents told me my Netgear c7100v

Nighthawk® DOCSIS® 3.0 1.9Gbps Two-in-one Cable Modem + WiFi Router

should be upgraded, but I believe it has the latest tech I need, this too I'd like to know so if this will work I can buy two matching routers with the correct tech. 

Help! Thank you! JB

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

@user_166062 Good evening! Thank you for reaching out to our Community Forums Team for assistance with your services, equipment, and setup there. I understand the importance of having your services work throughout your home, especially since we use our Wi-Fi for pretty much everything these days. We can install an outlet in the dinning room, as long as it's on a perimeter wall. I can help you schedule an appointment to have a technician come out to get an outlet installed, and take a look at your configuration to see if there is something that will work better. Sometimes having a set of eyes to take a look, is a better experience. You had also mentioned you bought extenders, were these xFi pods from us, or were they other manufacturer? I'm including the information below for our xFi pods just in case. To begin, can you please DM your name, and the service address we will be working with this evening? 

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod

To send a "Direct Message" message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityKassie​ 

Hi Kassie, I just had an Xfinity guy here looking at the situation. We went through all the options, none were ideal until he told me the very best option was to simply set up a second account. Wow, no one mentioned this and its perfect! He said lots of people have done this since the pandemic sent us all home to work. 

So he drilled a hole in the floor and ran a new coaxial cable to my downstairs computer and told me to just buy a modem and set up a new account. So I just got back. I bought the latest modem router for Xfinity with the 3.1 docsis and wifi 6 then drove across the street to Xfinity, waited for nearly an hour only to be told that you can't have two accounts at one address.

I give up! The tech, the store, and the phone agents all three give me different information. Can you give me any help or advise? It shouldn't be this hard to make this work for me, especially when I'm willing to set up a whole new account and pay two bills! 

There has got to be a solution, I don't think this guy just made up a story about people working from home with two accounts. He gave me the most understandable, friendly information so far. There must be some way to do what he suggested. But if not, I don't want to be charged for the cable he ran today if I'm not able to use it.

Help! Thanks!

Brent 

Problem Solver

• 

352 Messages

A second modem will create its computer network if these have separate account internet services. Though, if there is one internet service, one of the modems can be used as a bridge, and connect both modems through an ethernet cable. However, remember that a modem will provide an internet connection to one device at a time. By creating a new account would only work if you have an apartment or unit attached, a basement you are renting, casita or guest house with your property. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Where ever there is a coaxial outlet, one can connect a MoCA adapter to it. The coaxial outlet needs to be active. I purchased ScreenBeam Bonded MoCA 2.5 adapter for the highest speed internet, ethernet over coax cables. In order for the MoCA adapter to work, your modem/router needs to be MoCA compatible. Unfortunately for me, my Arris G36 modem/router that I purchased was not MoCA comptaible(did not need at that time), and decided to by the TP-Link Deco AXE5400 Tri-Band Wifi 6E mesh system that is MoCA compatible and extend wifi throughout the house as well as having a router/access point in my living room, my stepson's room and the master bedroom. 

Steps I took to ensure the internet runs flawlessly through out the house;

1. Changed the 2-way splitter of 5-1000mhz to 5-1675mhz. The outside main coaxial cable runs into my basement. The "In" is where the main coaxial that runs into your house is connected. A filter called POE (Point of Entry) adapter is connected from the coaxial cable to the splitter. MoCA POE filter shields data to avoid interference. It keeps your MoCA signals isolated in your home so that your network will not be visible to your neighbors. These filters are also used for cable TV, satellite, and high speed internet. 

2. From the two "Out" ports of the splitter, I have one coaxial cable identified that is my stepson's coaxial cable in his room, and connected it to the splitter. Since we do not have cable TV, we have IPTV (internet protocol television-such as Sling, YouTube TV, Hulu TV, etc), there is nothing connected to this second "Out" port. However, you can use this free second port if you have a coaxial live enabled cable from another room; master bedroom, office, basement, etc). Splitters can come in two or more, but be aware that it will split evenly your internet broadband. Not really a bad thing but you may experience more or less speed from one of the devices of a room depending on it's usage. My stepson has a gamers PC rig that demands a lot of broadband speed; hence why we did the mesh and the MoCA adapters.

3- The first MoCA adapter is connected from the main coaxial outlet in the living room to the Arris modem; one end has the coaxial port and the other end of the adapter has for an Ethernet cable to connect to a mode/router. We replaced the Ethernet cable CAT5 to an exaggerated CAT8; not needed but when internet plans upgrade, modems go to DOCSIS 4.0. and mesh systems improve, we don't need to change the network cables.

4- From the Arris modem/router(it's enabled in bridge mode, meaning it disables the wifi), it has another ethernet cable running to the main TP-Link DECO mesh router in the living room. The TP-Link Mesh router serves as the main device to provide wifi signals to 2.4, 5 and 6e devices; instead of the main Arris modem/router. We have IoT smart devices that connect to 2.4 and 5ghz, cell phones that connect to 6e, laptops and pc's that connect on 6ghz and some smart tv's are connected directly with an ethernet cable or wifi(5ghz). The TP-Link Deco mesh routers have AI and runs a scan to avoid clashing of channels and frequencies. It will auto select what is the best frequency our devices should be connected to. Also prioritizes devices accordingly to it's usage.

5- From the main TP-Link Deco router, it broadcasts and extends to the nearest second TP-Link router and the third one as well. If you walk through your house with a tablet, cell phone or other device connected to your wifi, it will connect to the nearest router to maintain a strong signal. The TP-Link mesh routers I purchased has 3 routers of which one of them is the main router. 

6- In order for the MoCA adapter to work, you need to either buy 2(if your modem/router) is not MoCA compatible, or buy one where you would like to connect on any room that has a coaxial outlet with a live and enabled cable. In our case, the second MoCA adapter is connected from my stepson's coaxial outlet(live/enabled by Xfinity technician) and it is connected to his powerful gamers pc. This provides that maximum speed for gaming. However, this also pulls a lot of internet bandwidth which is not fair for others in the house to have a slower speed. By switching the ethernet cable from the MoCA adapter to the second TP-Link adapter, the AI software of the mesh system goes to work! It fairly distributes & prioritizes the internet speed for my stepson to be happy as well as everyone else in the house. Note; you can with the TP-Link DECO mesh system assign a specific bandwidth speed to a device. In our case, from our 1.2 Gbps internet plan, we allocated 800 Mbps to my stepson's gamers pc. Other devices average out between 350 to 400 Mbps on laptops(some are GHz and others 6Ghz wifi frequencies) and cellphone average anywhere from 480 Mbps to 550 Mbps. Seeing internet speeds fluctuate is normal but there should be a constant speed at which is acceptable.

First thing to do is find out if your Netgear c7100v is MoCA certified, compatible. Have Xfinity technician go out and enable as many coaxial lines as possible. Unfortunately, but fortunately, the only one enabled was my stepson's coaxial cable in his room. Which is the entire idea of doing everything we did. It was for him. Seeing a 16 year old go from 150 Mbps to 800 Mbps to play, is ecstatic. I was bummed to find out that the technician couldn't do anything for the master bedroom and our loft in the third floor. Xfinity is going to charge you, as they did with me, $100 dollars to go out and do their job. Wish they would have charged me 1/2 since they only could do one. So, before you invest money on MoCA adapters, perhaps upgraded ethernet cables and maybe a mesh system to create your own wifi ecosystem, have the technician enable as many coaxial cables you need to. 

If for any reason the speeds are not what you expected, also verify your settings on the Netgear c7100. I read a lot of people complaining they get frequent disconnects or slow speeds and they were resolved with tweaking the proper settings in the admin page of the modem/router. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reply.

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

2 years ago

If you're willing to drill a hole in your house for a second Comcast account that didn't work I figure you're willing to pull Cat6 through the same holes the Comcast tech ran that useless coax through.  Yeah you could use MoCA but MoCA is for situations where you can't easily use ethernet.  Replace that extra coaxial run the Comcast tech put in that didn't work with Cat6 and just hang a WiFi access point or WiFi router in access point mode (most WiFi routers support this) off the end of the cable.  If you're using an access point you'll likely want a switch too if you want to have a wired computer in the dining room.  You can also look at mesh systems.  A wired backhaul is the way if you want consistent speed, but those mesh setups can do pretty well.  Also all the decent mesh kits support a wired backhaul.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here