kaylapdot's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, September 24th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

New Netgear CM1000 Modem Setup - Ethernet won't connect

Yesterday I updated my service to a faster speed and needed to obtain a new Modem to be capatable with a higher speed. I have followed all directions to set up a new Netgear CM1000 modem but the internet will not connect via the ethernet cable to my laptop.  It shows it is working and sending/receiving data, but does not actually function. 

I tried a few different devices, ethernet cables, rebooting everything multiple times - but I cannot pull up the activation xfinity page let alone any other webpage. I've searched all over xfinity pages and the internet for ideas, not finding much.  It was late so I ended up hooking my old modem back up for now so we can keep doing work and school from home today. Any other ideas? Thank you!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I was having the same issue.  What I was doing wrong was plugging the modem into my router. What I needed to do first was plug the modem directly into a computer then restart the modem and then a xfiniti page popped up and initiated the new modem process.   Then once you get signal on your computer then plug it into the router.  Not sure that applies to your situation but hopefully it does.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You should be troubleshooting with Netgear support, not Comcast. Their responsibility, since it’s not their equipment stops at getting it activated.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Well I found this on Netgear's page where they point me to calling Comcast, I guess there's no way around it... 

https://kb.netgear.com/24939/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Router-Online-Activation-with-Comcast-Xfinity-service

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Maybe call in to get it activated?And then check your ports again

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

Since you aren't getting the "walled garden" page as they call  it, call 1-888-Comcast and say "provision my modem".  Just went through this. You should get someone pretty quick.

They will ask you for the MAC address of the modem and provision it for you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here