U

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Monday, August 12th, 2024 7:03 PM

New Gigabit Upload Speed

Hi-

I recently updated to the "new" Gigabit plan, which claims to have download speed of 1000 Mbps and 150Mbps upload. I ran speed test and it shows around 20 Mbps, which is more or less the old plan (1000/25). I was wondering what could be the reason?

I have my own modem MB8611, which is DOCSIS 3.1 with 4 channel upstream and should be able to handle up to 800 Mbps up. It's also a supported device.

Could someone please suggest?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 month ago

... download speed of 1000 Mbps and 150Mbps upload ... MB8611 ...

The MB8611 is not approved for the new higher upload speeds. See:

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Compatible" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "compatible/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for the new upload speeds.

You need one of Comcast's newer rental gateways (XB6, XB7, XB8) or one of the few retail devices shown in the "Next Gen Speed Tier" group with an upload speed rating in the "All Compatible Devices" PDF.  Also see the Reddit link, which lists the approved devices as well as other requirements for faster upload speeds. Comcast could make all of this much clearer, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

1 month ago

@user_31275

Hi thanks for reaching out, this link https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#results if you Scroll down to all compatible devices including next generation speed tiers it will show you the compatible devices for the new upload speed. Do you currently have one of the modems listed on that Pdf document for the next generation speed modems that are compatible?a

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

1 month ago

Thanks both for getting back. No, my modem is MB8611. The list seems to be updated arbitrarily. MB8611 was on the list when I purchased and activated a year or two ago. It has 32x8 spec similar to most (all) of those in the list now. Any reason why it's not supported for the new upload speed. Any plan to update the list to include more models? Even if the modem is not on the official support list, if it's capable of handling the new upload speed, I don't see why it should be blocked. 

In any case, I don't plan to create another e-waste on the modem that is only 1-2 years old and totally capable of handling the current technology. Especially if your list keeps changing for no technical reasons. I guess I need to live with good technology in the hands of bad operator. 

2 Messages

1 month ago

The MB8611 is not certified for Mid-Split. You need to be using a modem listed on the Next Gen Speed Tier list here https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2024-07-18_Full-List-of-Compatible-Devices.pdf

What are my responsibilities when buying and using my own equipment with Xfinity service?
You're responsible for making sure your retail device is secure and certified, that it supports your Xfinity Internet service speed, and for upgrading your equipment when we increase speeds. We recommend that you stay aware of new developments in technology to better understand when replacing your retail device may be necessary.

You'll be responsible for troubleshooting device-related issues using the manufacturer's user manual if we've confirmed that your Xfinity Internet or Voice service is functioning properly. You'll also be responsible for configuring your wireless network's security settings, if applicable.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here