xTheEdgex's profile

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

Monday, July 29th, 2024 5:46 PM

Network devices data use

This past month, my data use has gone up a lot compared to other months. I can use the Xfinity app and the gateway to see the devices on my network, but I can't see how much data is being used by each. Does anyone know of an app or any other way to figure out what's using a lot of data? I already checked and there are no unknown devices on the network. It's all as it should be.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 months ago

@xTheEdgex

Great question I use the Xfinity app https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi to monitor my teenage usage on the Internet when it comes to his game with the Xfinity App you can set up a profile and connect it with the device after you do that you can verify the devices amount of time on the Internet but it won't show you exactly what the device is doing on line or how much data the device has used

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

@XfinityOrlandoM​    Same here. I can see all the devices and when they're connected, but I'm not able to figure out which one is draining the data. Even with everyone having a profile with their devices, the info doesn't narrow it down enough to figure this out. It looks like I'll be about 300Gb more than last month with the same devices connected. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Yes it doesn't show which ones using the data but it does show you how long they were online.

I had the same issue with going over my data when COVID happened due to my son and my daughter on how they were using the Internet.

I was able to narrow down which device was online the most and then it led me to ask some clarifying questions to my son on what type of games he's playing online.

so I did have to educate them on what things use more data such as 4K streaming or downloading a 4K games or some games that he may host that it can incur more data or the fact they may leave something streaming while they run off for the day to their friend's house.

After a while I got tired of trying to teach my teenagers what and what not to do on the Internet I opted in for the unlimited data option  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/exp-unlimited-data

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

73 Messages

That info is not shown on my app. The Xfinity app shows the devices, but it does not show how long each device has been online. I can click on each profile, and it will show the devices for that profile and show some of the apps and how long each app was used. It doesn't list all apps used, either. The page that shows the graph as time used, is a total of all devices for that profile.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

It really comes down to how to organize the people profiles and devices. I would advise structuring the core devices you want to isolate usage based on the people using them, you can associate or disassociate the devices from that People profile once you isolate the usage in question. 

People

On the WiFi tab, under the Connected to your WiFi section, you can organize all your connected devices by the people who use them. Once you create a person, you'll be able to access additional features to manage your home network. You can also view details related to a person’s online status, daily online time and an active time limit tracker (if configured).

For your convenience, in addition to the custom person groups you can create, we've included two default groups:

• Household: This is intended for smart home devices used by all family members (e.g., Smart TV, thermostat, security system and door locks).
  • Guest: This is intended for visitors' devices that you'd like to keep track of.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

2 months ago

Same here in November I used 117 GB to May was 243 GB then in June it went to 764 and in July 1.11 TB almost to max of 1.2. Very strange since I live in an apt by myself and I don’t play games or download anything all I do is use Xfinity Stream App to watch my cable in a room that has no cable connection. 

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Hey there, user_vf373j, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding your data usage. Have you checked the devices connected to your Network using the Xfinity app to ensure you recognize all the devices? This will provide you with those steps, https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi. You can also try changing your Wi-Fi password to ensure that no one is connecting without your consent. Here are the steps, https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password.

Also, here is a link with some background data usage that can count towards your data plan, https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-internet-background-data-usage. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here