user_67e981's profile

Problem Solver

• 

264 Messages

Sunday, June 16th, 2024 4:48 PM

Netgear CAX80 Mac Address vs CM Mac Address question

Recently I attempted upgrading my owned modem from my current Arris to a new Netgear CAX80 which after many attempts by Xfinity support to activate it was never able to be activated.  So I have returned the Netgear modem to the seller I purchased it from.  

One thing that bothered me during the whole failed attempt was that on the Netgear modem labels, I could only find MAC Address not CM Mac Address.  I have used Arris modems for a long time and on each one I have owned on the label it has MC Mac Adress, which of course is what Xfinity goes by.

This weekend after doing some searches on the internet both in Xfinity forums and other places, I am finding mention that Netgear doesn't list the CM Mac Address, only the Mac Address.  A couple of postings have mentioned taking the Mac Address and subtracting 2 from it to get the CM Mac Address.  What the postings do not mention is if you should do this to all six pairs of the Mac Address or only to specific pairs of the Mac Address.  

The post on this forum that I am referring to is at this location 

So I was wondering from any of the Netgear users on here if the subtraction should be done to all six pairs of the Mac Address or to which pairs it should be done if you had to do this or were you able to get your modem activated by providing Xfinity just the value shown on the Mac Address label of the Netgear modem?

My desire to upgrade does remain so that I can take advantage of a recent increase in upload speed that was added to my package, and I do like to 'future proof' my modem purchase so that if download speed it bumped up at some point or if I do opt to change to a faster package then my hardware is already in place.

Problem Solver

• 

264 Messages

3 months ago

I think I might have been able to answer my own question after looking further at my current Arris modem.  I won't know for sure until I get the time to acquire another Netgear and give the theory a try.  At such a time I'll update this post with the results.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

@irarichards Thank you for reaching out to our community forum so we can help you activate your new modem. Once your purchase the modem and have the MAC address, we can definitely help you register it to the account and make sure it's activated. If you are interested in taking advantage of our increased Next Generation speeds, please make sure the model is listed here under "Next Gen Speed Tier". The CAX80 is not currently approved to support those speeds. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

264 Messages

Thank you for taking the time to make the posting of information.  It does help clarify what I had started to find while attempting to find answers to my Netgear activation issue.  Using the information that your link points to I have found another modem/router combo that is listed in the Next Gen Speed Tier that I prefer over the Netgear that I was originally trying to activate.  When I am at a point in the next couple of weeks where I can devote the time to work on another activation attempt I plan to give the modem/router that I found on the list that I prefer over the Netgear that I have since returned due to the inability to get it activated.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 months ago

@irarichards 

FWIW. It seems that you've misinterpreted that post. You can't subtract digits from a MAC address to get some other MAC address. It doesn't work that way. They used a dash (-) when they should have said MAC number (#) two. You perceived it as being a minus sign. Something else went wrong with that activation.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

264 Messages

@EG 

Thank you so much for the reply, as always I do appreciate it and will keep this information in mind should I ever attempt a Netgear modem/router activation/install again.

Since my last post on this thread, I did do further investigation to find that the CAX80 while a good modem/router currently doesn't support the new upload speed that I was seeking to take advantage of, so had the activation been successful I would have been disheartened by not gaining the upload performance.  

I also have learned that my preferred brand, Arris, does have a modem/router combo, the G54, that will take advantage of the new upload speed as well as future proof my download speed ability for a good while.  It will be a couple of weeks before I have the time to work on another activation attempt, so when the time comes I believe that the G54 will be what I go with since I am used to Arris and I do like what I see as I continue to read up on the unit and its abilities.  

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 months ago

@irarichards 

Quite welcome ! Please post back here with how things turn out.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

264 Messages

As promised, here is the update and my resolution to the situation.

After returning the Netgear unit originally mentioned in this post, I acquired an Arris G54 unit, feeling more comfortable working with Arris since that is what I have used in the past and the Arris G54 does support the newer upload speed where the Netgear unit did not.

**Anyone from Xfinity please note that in the Xfinity app, current version as of this posting, on the Overview tab, the link found there for new equipment activation seems to be the issue.  It takes you immediately to an input screen asking for the MAC address of the new unit.  For both the Netgear and the Arris units, it would immediately return saying something went wrong.  After numerous attempts inputting the MAC address and getting the same result I did open up chats with Xfinity agents.  Both times they never could get the unit added to my account and instructed me to send the unit back to where I got it from.

Actual Resolution is when I discovered in the Xfinity app, the Account tab, the Devices block of options, Activate xFi Gateway or Modem.  This link takes you to a different process of activation.  I do not recall all of the prompts but I do know that it does initially ask if it is an Xfinity device or your own device, then you get to select/input the brand like Arris, before being prompted for the MAC address.  Once I entered the MAC address it went to work on the activation and provided me with an animated screen showing it was in process.  After a short period the Arris G54 did activate.

Hope others find the end result helpful.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

irarichards, Thank you for taking the time to update everyone on this process. We appreciate the information!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

3 months ago

@irarichards 

Thanks for the update ! Glad you got things sorted out !

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here