U

Wednesday, November 1st, 2023 2:13 AM

Closed

Neighbors connected via moca

I recently noticed on the Xfinity app that my neighbors have several devices connected via moca to my gateway. Not only has it slowed down my internet, but I also can't seem to keep the devices off of my network. I called Xfinity twice and was told to reset my password and network name. I use very secure passwords, and the devices reconnected. Although I have "paused" the devices, they still show up as connected to my network. After the second call, I requested that a technician come out to install a point of entry moca filter since I don't have one. The technician insisted the devices were not connected and reported no issues. He did not install a moca filter. I purchased one off of amazon, but I wasn't able to install it without impacting my cable service, which would get pixelated. I thought I had paused all of my neighbors' several devices, but last night I again received a text that a new device was connected to my network via moca.

I would prefer not to have to purchase a $300 router myself to avoid this issue. Is there any way to get Xfinity to assist with the issue and install a moca filter?

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

11 months ago

Where did you install the filter?

If you have an MoCA connected set top box, and you put the filter on the back of your gateway, then your set top box is probably one of those "mystery devices" your neighbors see connected to their gateway.  Xfinity's MoCA implementation has no security. 

For your case, the MoCA filter has to go where the service enters your residence to block your devices from getting out, and also to block your neighbors devices from getting in.  Apartment situations can be a rats nest of cable distribution so this can be difficult to determine how the jacks in your apartment are actually connected. 

If you are dead set on their cable lineup for some reason, then what about a WiFi connected set top box?  Then the MoCA filter can go on the back of your gateway and you don't use the jacks in your apartment.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-tv-box-faqs 

Official Employee

• 

819 Messages

11 months ago

Can I ask that you reach out privately, so we can cover the details of your account. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions.

6 Messages

@XfinityBrianH​ hello, I also have this issue and have reached out to xfinity support but have not heard back yet. Would you be able to lend a hand in that area?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

I just keep getting the same answer and told to reset, reboot the system. After several times, the issue still isn't solved. For some reason, Xfinity employees cannot see the problem on their end.

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

@JACk2015 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 6-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on someone else's older thread can delay getting help.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

6 Messages

11 months ago

Hey did you get this figured out? I’m having the exact same issue, with xfinity also saying there’s nothing connected and there’s nothing they can do. I’m about to terminate service with them and do it myself. 

2 Messages

@user_42q​ After sending a direct message and explaining the problem further, they sent a tech out. He confirmed the devices were actually connecting to my network and installed a moca filter. No issues so far and speed has improved.

6 Messages

Hoping they’ll do the same for me! Thanks for responding

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_42q​ You don't have to wait for Xfinity to fix their security exploit issue.  You can solve this yourself with a pair of pliers in less than 5 minutes.  The filter just screws inline on your coax.  Search for MoCA PoE filter at walmart or amazon.  A link that may work:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Filter-MoCA-POE-for-Cable-TV-OTA-coaxial-networks-ONLY/171350820?from=/search 

If you have an Xfinity store by you, people have reported you can get one for free there too.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here