U

Friday, December 1st, 2023 2:58 PM

Closed

My Xfinity modem keeps pausing my devices

My Xfinity modem keeps pausing my devices, when i go on the app it say’s they’re not paused, but when i try to load up a webpage, it says the device is paused. This is beyond frustrating, I’m paying for a service that doesn’t even work

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

11 months ago

Apartment or close neighbor situation? 

Are you using any coax connected cable TV boxes?  (determines how you fix it).

It's possible you are in a "pause war" with a neighbor due to unintentional MoCA connections -- your devices joining their gateway.  MoCA is Ethernet over coax.  The version of MoCA that Xfinity uses has no security.  Your devices would be "unknown devices" from your neighbors point of view, and they might be pausing them.   

3 Messages

@flatlander3​ i live in an apartment, coax cable only connected to the modem. 

Do you know how i get rid of unintentional MoCA connections?

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_561​  Yes.  For the immediate short term, log into your Xfinity gateway at http://10.0.0.1  username=admin, password=password unless you changed it at some point.  You need to disable MoCA.  Not sure where it is in their firmware now.  Some say the option is under the "connections" tab.  After that, disconnect and reconnect WiFi and Ethernet connected devices/PC's or reboot them so they get an address on Your gateway.   People do report it turning back on by itself sometimes.  

*I'd add, it's also possible that you'll shut off your neighbor's gateway MoCA if you are connected to that instead of your gateway (they'll be surprised).  You may have to do it twice to be logged into YOUR gateway.

For a permanent solution, there is a filter called an MoCA point of entry filter.  It blocks the higher frequency MoCA uses from either leaking out, or getting into your gateway from your neighbors networks.  Since you have no coax connected devices/TV boxes, you can screw it right to the back of your gateway inline on the coax.

You can get one on Amazon or on Walmarts site for around $10, or if there's an Xfinity store by you, people say you can get one there for free.  Search for "MoCA POE Filter" to find one.

(edited)

3 Messages

Thank you for the info!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here