U

Wednesday, November 29th, 2023 8:17 PM

Closed

My neighbor and i can see eachothers devices

About two weeks ago, my neighbor also got Xfinity Wi-Fi, and I noticed out of the blue that two new devices connected to my Internet. I was confused and tried to see if my downstairs neighbor in the apartment building was setting up Wi-Fi. They ended up setting up their Wi-Fi and using an external router as well and for some reason it connected all of her things to my Wi-Fi and my all of my things to her Wi-Fi. I have contacted Xfinity support over 10 times to try to resolve this issue and have still not gotten a resolution. They escalated it to security level and then escalated it again when they couldn’t figure it out. Why does this keep happening to people and why am I still paying for this if my speeds aren’t going to be reflected with what I’m paying for And my security and safety isn’t going to be taken seriously. If it has anything to do with not having a mocha filter, can I please get one sent to me to hopefully resolve this before I have to cancel and switch providers due to this. I can’t even stream Peacock, which is included in my plan for gigabyte Internet . 

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

10 months ago

First. Is this a Comcast rented gateway device ? If so, check to see if the MoCA feature in it is enabled. If it is, and if you do not have a POE (Point Of Entry) MoCA filter installed on the coax line, yours and your neighbor's gateway devices will be able to connect with each other like one big network. Disable it if you aren't using it. If you are, install a POE MoCA filter on the input port of the first splitter off of the street drop to keep the signal in your premises and to keep the neighbor's signals out. Your neighbors should also have POE filters installed.

To disable MoCA on your device go to the gateway login http://10.0.0.1  

Default login info is:
Username: admin (all lowercase)
Password: password

Once in you will find the drop-down on the left of the screen that is labeled “Connections”.

Click the drop down---> click MoCA---> right side of screen click “disable”---> save changes.

Bear in mind that we've seen many posts here that the MoCA feature gets turned back on with their overnight re-boots / updates for the device. The best policy is to be sure to use that POE filter ! Amazon has them: https://www.amazon.com/SNLP-1GCW-Filter-Eliminate-Multi-Room-Interference/dp/B07SLD9QPH   

Or you can get one for free at your local Comcast / Xfinity store. 

If you are not using the MoCA feature on your home network, you can put the POE filter right at the back of your gateway device instead.

(edited)

14 Messages

@EG​ Thanks for this info! I read a little about "MoCA" when I was doing a test on the xFinity Orbi router/modem last week, but had no idea that by activating it would cause connections to be shared over the network. Maybe is better to leave it on the "disable" mode until a filter can be installed. Comcast should ship the filter in the package and instruct their customers to install it before activating that feature on the router.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here