U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, September 5th, 2024 6:34 PM

My home router configuration reverted to a name that an attacker had assigned.

Please help! Why has my router name changed back to a name assigned by an attacker after a factory reset! Is there a configuration saved somewhere that may have caused the change? Did the attacker regain access to my equipment?

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

11 days ago

What make you think the names are being assigned by an attacker?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

It's a long story, but in June, my neighbors compromised my cell phone with remote admin malware and I heard them begin live streaming. They logged out of my primary gmail and livestreamed me entering my password. Quickly, all my related accounts were seized. I didn't understand what was happening at first or where the compromise was but I could hear them commenting on my activity and things in my apartment. While I was trying to mitigate the issue, I took picture of my router to zoom in and see the default password. When I factory reset the router, they connected and locked me out of the router too. I spent most of July working with a law firm to break my lease and move to another apartment.

Anyhow, I found the network device name was stored locally and is accessible in the Windows Registry editor. I was worried it was a new compromise, but it was just a sticky configuration. The network profiles are stored here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

user_fa1342, Thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support. Could you tell me if this is your personal modem or one that you rented from Xfinity? If it is one you rented from us, I would recommend you exchange it at the local Xfinity store. If it is your personal modem, you could always contact the manufacture. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here