bobby999999's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

Thursday, August 8th, 2024 7:13 PM

My DHCP assignment from my modem to my firewall comes and goes

An infrequent problem but very annoying when it occurs.  I run pfsense in a VM on HyperV and have predefined the MAC of that VM.  This allows me to move pfsense to another host for maintenance, etc.  

Today and about a month ago pfsense lost its DHCP lease from the modem (IPV4 and IPV6).  Rebooting both the modem and pfsense didn't clear the issue.  What I've had to do to clear the issue is to allow the pfsense mac address to be dynamically assigned (which requires a reboot).  Then once the modem provides the DHCP lease, I switch back to my predefined mac on the firewall, reboot both the modem and the firewall and the problem is resolved.

Any thoughts on why the lease is being lost/not renewed?  My modem and firewall are pretty steady-state - I don't mess with them at all.

Thanks for any thoughts other than 'you shouldn't do that because....'

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

1 month ago

Hi there, @bobby999999 Thank you so much for reaching out to us regarding the DHCP issues you are having. Since it's been a few days since you posted, are you still having the same issue?-Richard

Regular Visitor

• 

11 Messages

This is a chronic problem that happens every once in a while.  As I said before, once I get a lease it seems to stick for about a month.  So I expect to have to do this dance again in about a month

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you, @bobby999999 Thank you for reaching back out. I have been researching this issue you are having and I'm showing this to be a bigger issue with pfsense with different users, have you reached out to pfsense?-Richard

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

1 month ago

Hey Bobby, 

Have you tried setting a Static IP address in pfSense, preferably outside the DHCP range. It will always stay at the IP address you assign to it. Search YouTube. There are dozens of people that have a video on how to do it. 

Waldo

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here