D

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, June 18th, 2021 3:42 AM

Closed

My Arlo base station will not connect to my new xfinity modem/router.

Hello. I just got my new xfinity modem/router. Everything works well, except my Arlo base station. My Arlo base station will not connect to my new xfinity modem/router. I’ve tried rebooting both the xfinity modem/router and the Arlo base station numerous times without success. The Arlo base station was working fine with the xfinity modem/router that was replaced with the upgraded model. This is obviously a problem with some of the new xfinity modem/router settings. My Arlo base station is a VMB3010 and up to date with firmware.

Any answers?

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

3 years ago

Moved here to the proper help section.

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

3 years ago

@Ducpilot_64 

The two WiFi bands have recently been combined into one with the Comcast gateway devices. Some devices get confused and don't know how to see / talk to combined bands.

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can try separating the 2.4 and the 5.0 bands and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Associate the Arlo with the 2.4 or the 5.0 (whichever one works) band's SSID (broadcast name) and password.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@EG 

Thank you EG, I’ll give that a try. Unfortunately, looking at my xfinity app, it no longer shows the option to operate with manual switching between 2.4 and 5.0. I guess that once I elected to allow the gateway to automatically select the band, it removed the ability to switch back. Not good. I plan to try to logging into my router via its URL, but it’ll need to wait until I can get back to my network. I’m hoping that I’ll find the ability there to switch back to manually selecting between the bands so I can give your suggestion a try. 

I’ve also tried using the DMZ to allow the Arlo 3010 base station. It showed on the xfinity app that gateway and base station were now connected, but I still couldn’t connect to Arlo. 

I also tried adding port forwarding for 80, 123, and 443 in both TCP & UDP. It didn’t seem to make any difference…still unable to connect with the Arlo base station.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

No solution. Contacted xfinity support, no solution (very little help). Contacted Arlo support who said they thought the base station was defective. Sounds like my base station fried itself at the exact time a new xifinity gateway was installed. Hmmm.

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

@Ducpilot_64 wrote:  "Unfortunately, looking at my xfinity app, it no longer shows the option to operate with manual switching between 2.4 and 5.0. I guess that once I elected to allow the gateway to automatically select the band, it removed the ability to switch back. I’m hoping that I’ll find the ability there to switch back to manually selecting between the bands so I can give your suggestion a try."

You may want to try hard resetting the Comcast device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear or use the WPS button if it doesn't have a reset hole for 30 seconds to regain that function. I've read a couple of posts from other customers stating that it worked for them. YMMV. The user name and the password will now become the defaults of admin and password. And you will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch.

Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I had the exact same issue but with the Blink camera system. You can separate the bands still. There’s actually a YouTube video showing how to get through it. I believe it’s in the xFi app, click on network and there’s a pencil or gear in the top right corner, there you can separate them. Xfinity will warn you not to because you’ll notice coverage issues. Most smart home devices operate on 2.4ghz, because it travels further. 5ghz however is faster and carries more data but lacks range. Having the bands combined allows devices like phone, laptop, etc to chose which band is best based on signal strength.

All that being said, I ended up using my own router and modem. I believe the one I got was a dud but I wasn’t able to get ahold of customer service for an exchange. Since using my own equipment, I have zero issues. 

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

3 years ago

@user_b94e93 Wrote: "You can separate the bands still. There’s actually a YouTube video showing how to get through it. I believe it’s in the xFi app, click on network and there’s a pencil or gear in the top right corner, there you can separate them." 

FWIW. It's not one fix for all people unfortunately. I've seen many many posts here indicating that what works for someone doesn't work for someone else. It all different fixes in different geographic areas / environments / particular firmware loads. There doesn't seem to be any common thread. Sometimes it works in the app, sometimes it works on the online site, sometimes it works in the gateway's U.I. And sometimes it doesn't work anywhere.... Oh well....

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here