M

Saturday, July 13th, 2024 1:30 AM

My 300mbps internet appears to be throttled to 100mbps

First of - I am paying for the 300/100mbps "connect more" plan. I noticed that I was only getting around 100-110mbps, even when directly connected to the cable modem (no router or switch). I bought a new Arris SB8200 cable modem, as the one I had was not on the supported list (anymore). Speeds still around 100mbps. A tech came over and said signals were fine and he told me I was on a "legacy" plan and suggested moving to the current plan. I changed the plan to the "connect more" plan (for about the same price). However, download speeds didn't change. This all feels very... underhanded. Agreed, it says "speeds up to 300mbps" but what I am really paying for then? When I get a Gigabit plan, will it still be only 100mbps in real life? Is Comcast mad that I don't rent their XFi router? I'd love some answers and a refund for overpaying...

Official Employee

• 

889 Messages

2 months ago

@madeingouda Thank you for your post! Besides the speed tests, are you running into any other connectivity issues like problems loading sites or slow downloads? Also, do you notice the speed fluctuate during different times of the day?

5 Messages

The internet works, the connections are stable but consistently around 110mbps.

Official Employee

• 

889 Messages

@madeingouda Can you go into your router's interface and let me know what speeds it is reporting? Also, did you restart your modem after connecting different devices to it? Many times, routers will not update their settings between devices without a restart in between.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

You'll never get the right speeds with that modem. You need one of the few modems that are listed on the Next Gen compatible modems list;

5 Messages

I’m just going off of what Xfinity is telling me on their website. The SB8200 is one of the models that came up when looking up my address and speed. The sb8200 is even listed as supporting 800mbps.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@madeingouda, I know how important a fast, reliable connection is and want to help in any way I can. I'd be happy to run some troubleshooting for you today. Troubleshooting can also be done through the My Account App or online at https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet#troubleshooting.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address.

To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@madeingouda

You are not going to get 100 up with that modem. An incompatible modem will also default to using a slower-speed bootfile for the download as well....

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 months ago

@XfinityKrista 

All things being equal, they'll still need a compatible modem to be able to get 100 up. Period... An incompatible modem will also default to using a slower-speed bootfile for the download as well....

5 Messages

That makes very little sense. Then they need to put that on their website and not mislead customers into buying something incompatible and spend time on support calls and user forums. (edit: sorry - i didn't realize you were talking about just the upload speed)

(edited)

5 Messages

Plot twist / update - after talking to a chat agent, I ordered a XFi Gateway to determine what was wrong with my connection. The day after we had an issue where my wife couldn't watch anything on the Xfinity app because it thought it wasn't on Xfinity home internet. This chat agent determined yesterday that my cable modem was not "activated". This sounds strange, as I definitely was on the XFinity connection with my WiFi?? I am unsure what was done but I am now getting 350mbps down and 25mbps up WITH THE ARRIS MODEM. This all seems to confirm my initial theory that my bandwidth was throttled on purpose until I complained about it, or upgraded to the XFi gateway.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@madeingouda thanks for taking the time to reach out. We're happy to hear the speeds have improved. Is there anything else we can help with today? 

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@madeingouda​ 

No worries ! And I couldn't agree more. They could / should have made things much more clear......

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here