R

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, December 8th, 2022 11:12 PM

Closed

Much slower speeds after upgrade to 2GB plan and XB8

Hi - I recently upgraded to the 2GB plan and just installed an XB8.  While I haven't tested for 2.5GB yet, I have tested 1GB and my speeds are much slower (25% slower) than my previous Modem (XB7).   Speeds which were roughly 950mb are now 525-600mb.  Am I missing something, does it take a few days for my account to be upgraded?  

Note:  Wired CAT6 Network, both directly connected to XB8, or using a Netgear Router.  Both tested similar speeds.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Did you ever see any improvement with your speeds?  I also just got an XB8 with the 2GB plan.  I had a Netgear previously and it was close to 1GB with the Gigabit plan.

They [Edited: "Language"] and gave me an XB7 the first time so I had to go back.  Right now the speeds are not very impressive and have maxed out around 900Mb with a continuous download like a game install.

I also put it in bridge mode, and it seems the network tests that are in the app disappear, so I can't do a full network test.  Every time I tired to do it before switching to bridge mode it would fail anyways.  All the channels are locked and have great values.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

800 Messages

Hi there, @Endorphine71 and @rtesta7979!

Sorry to hear about the speed troubles with the new XB8! The first three ports should be 1Gbps Ethernet ports, and the fourth,with an orange mark by it, should support 2.5Gbps Ethernet, is that the port being used?

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same problem. Had the 1.2 Gbps plan and got 1.4 GBPs very consistently.  After upgrading my plan to the gigabit X2 plan (2 Gbps plan) I get worse download speeds than before (often 450-550 Mbps with very brief excursions over 1.5 Gbps). The tech replaced my XB8, buried a new drop, reprovisioned my modem, etc. and the tech had no idea. Not sure where to go here. 

Contributor

• 

127 Messages

Hello @user_58a5ea Thank you for letting us know about these speed issues you are experiencing. I appreciate you sharing the steps you have taken to resolve this already as well. I would like to take a closer look into this situation with you. To get started, please send me a Direct Message. 

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Direct Message icon” (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Having the same issue.  X2 2 gig with XB8.  After a fresh modem reboot I get the 2 gig download.  1.9-ish.  Then as time goes on it goes down to 1gig usually around 950-ish.  Upload is a solid 240-ish no matter what.  Reboot the modem then I am good at 2 gig again for a period of time.  Could be an hour or sometimes even a day but it eventually slows down.

Valued Contributor

• 

406 Messages

Hi, @user_2fab4a! I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing frequent drops in speed, but we can definitely look into this for you. We just need to gather a little more information, and we would never ask for it on a public post. Could you send us a DM?

To send a direct message [private message]:

•    Click "Sign In" if necessary
  •    Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
  •    Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  •    The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  •    - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  •    - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  •    Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  •    Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Same exact issue here, had 1200Mbps plan before, would regularly see steam installs reaching 1.1 gigabit, after the upgrade to X2 and an XB8 modem, as well as a provisioning, I'm still only seeing 400-500 Mbps on steam installs. The weirdest part is that when i do a speedtest, i can get the advertised 2000 Mbps, (as high as 2200 outside peak traffic) which tells me its not a hardware issue.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here