vaish317's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 5th, 2020 8:00 PM

Closed

Moving Xfinity X1 Internet Router

Hi, I tried to move my xfinity wifi router to a new room in my house, but it did not seem to be getting any connection from the different coax outlet I used in the different room. As far as I can tell, both outlets are the same, but the one the Xfinity guy set up the router at originally works fine, but the one in the different room can't get a connection at all (router itself not getting any signal). Is this because the coax outlet is faulty or is there another setup step I am missing? (All I did was connect coax and power cable).

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

Was that cable outlet working before? It's possible there just isn't any signal going to that outlet. You may have to get a tech visit scheduled. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Walk the cables back to where they all meet, you’ll probably find only the one(s) in use are hooked up. If you find them, unhook the one you presently use and hook up the room you’re looking for. Or eventually have a tech out after the pandemic is over and get it repaired that way

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Your modem is the best tool, it’ll lock onto a usable signal. Try and post a picture of the cables you described. You may have to keep going backwards in your house to ultimately see what’s connected and what’s not connected. Pics will help to see what you see

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

@CCAndrew @darkangelic 

Hi, thanks for both your replies!

I now think it is indeed a coax outlet issue. I tried again today to move the router to the desired room by hooking up the coax cable given by Comcast into the coax outlet in the desired room. I made sure all connections were secure, but unfortunately I got the same result: WiFi signal shows up in connection list on devices, but does not have any connection to the internet. Took off the wall covers to both outlets today and they are pretty different. The working one in the original room has a white cable, silver threads, and a small blue dot in the middle of the threads. However, in the desired room cable is black, and has gold-colored threads that look older. I was thinking of trying to switch the threads of both coax cables (not sure how to do this, just an idea). Would this work?  Don't mind trying any and all options suggested. Finally, is there a way I can test if the coax outlet in the desired room is even getting a connection or not? The best tool I have for this is a multimeter, but open to options.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here