U

Friday, August 30th, 2024 11:06 PM

MOCA Support with Xfinity

Hi, I recently moved into a unit where there are only coax outlets in the rooms. Right now I have an Xfinity Gateway Router XB8-T plugged into the coax outlet on the first floor and use the WIFI network. However, I have two rooms upstairs that want wired connections. This is a rental so I cannot change the wiring and having an ethernet cable running from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor is far from ideal. Can I use MOCA adapters in each room to allow wired connection? Is there anything to note for buying those MOCA adapters or settings to tweak on the Xfinity side?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

19 days ago

That will work as long as MoCA is enabled in the XB8, and the other rooms are connected to a central MoCA-compliant splitter (5-1675 MHz) splitter. You should also install a MoCA POE (Point Of Entry) filter on the input port of that splitter.

1 Message

19 days ago

I have used MOCA adapters for this purpose, and they worked fine.  Plug & Play.  Ethernet in to Coax out, and vice versa. The ones I have are made by TRENDnet.  It's a little expensive because you need an adapter at each end.  (two rooms would require four adapters)

Expert

• 

106K Messages

19 days ago

Only one adapter is needed for each individual room. The XB8 has a MoCA component built-in.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

18 days ago

Good evening @user_864653, and thank you for reaching out on our dedicated Community Forums, we appreciate it! Yes, you can use MOCA adapters to allow connections in other rooms. Please be sure to make sure they are XFINITY compatible but other customer's have had success purchasing MOCA adapters on Amazon or Best Buy. 

You can also try purchasing WiFi extenders such as our xFi pods which are now enhanced for better performance and 2x faster speeds than our last generation. For more information on our xFi pods, I have included the following link https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/wifi/xfi-pod.

Expert

• 

106K Messages

@XfinityAlyssaA

Please be sure to make sure they are XFINITY compatible

Question. What exactly does that involve ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here