U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Monday, May 24th, 2021 5:59 AM

Closed

MoCA setup diagram and Questions

I am looking for confirmation on a seemingly very simple internet setup with my Xfinity internet. I am curious if using MoCA will be possible in my scenario.

Per my diagram provided, I have two possible questions: (modem does not have MoCA technology)

1) Do I need two MoCA adapters in my current scenario? i.e. One adapter between the splitter and the upstairs Modem, and a Second adapter downstairs.

2) Or, do I only need 1 MoCA adapter, which i would put downstairs?(I have provided two diagrams. The first is my "current" setup. The second is the proposed two MoCA setup)

I think where I am getting confused, is does both MoCA devices talk to each other in the proposed setup, or do they need a dedicated coax line between them via another splitter in order to function properly?

Of course if this is not the right question to be asking here, please let me know, and/or delete this post. thank you!

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

If your modem is not MoCA compliant, then you will need a minimum of two MoCA adapters.

Here is a basic wiring setup;

Be sure to use a MoCA compliant splitter (5-1675 MHz) such as this;

www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0?tag=ds0233-20 

(edited)

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

FYI... both links posted were for the GHS-2PRO-M splitter. I'm assuming the latter should have been to some other more general MoCA resource.

Problem Solver

• 

574 Messages

3 years ago

Hi, @user_6f4c37! Thanks for reaching out to our community forums for assistance with the MoCA setup. I'd like to ask some questions to find the best solution to the issues you're experiencing. What service issues are you currently experiencing?

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

@ComcastBianca May I please ask you two questions ? What wasn't abundantly clear about their "service issues" ?? What part of my answer didn't apply ??

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Your second "proposed" diagram looks fine (with one adjustment*), assuming that the MoCA adapters you choose include a RF pass-through port; if not, you'd need to use a MoCA 2.x-compatible splitter** at the modem location to get both the modem and MoCA adapter connected to the coax.

* Adjustment: The diagram lacks a "PoE" MoCA filter on the incoming cable provider line, to secure and strengthen the MoCA network, with the optimal install location being on the input of the top-level splitter (i.e. the "red" 2-way splitter in the diagram).

** See EG's suggestion: the Holland GHS-2PRO-M.

p.s. You don't mention the modem model number, so just be aware that some modems, including recent DOCSIS 3.1 models, can be sensitive to MoCA signals. A quick fix/workaround, if you find the modem acting squirrelly once the MoCA network is activated, involves installing a MoCA filter on the modem's coax port, to block the MoCA signals from reaching the modem's circuitry, letting the modem plod happily along.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here