U

Sunday, November 5th, 2023 3:50 AM

Closed

Moca Install with Netgear Modem and Mesh Network (Internet Only)

Hi All,

I have a NETGEAR Modem, NETGEAR Nighthawk mesh network. Have Internet only plan. I bought a couple of MOCA 2.5 adapters and a POE filter.

Trying to figure out how everything gets setup. Since I am not using Cable TV boxes, can I install the POE filter onto the Cable going into my modem?

Do I need a Splitter to split that main cable feed (One goes to the modem and the other into the MOCA Adapter)?

Do I connect the MOCA Ethernet port to one of the router ports?

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

An MoCA POE (point of entry) filter, is a low pass filter.  It blocks the higher frequency MoCA uses and will keep your MoCA signal from either leaking out to your neighbors over the coax, and/or will block your neighbors MoCA devices from getting in. 

If you are using MoCA devices yourself, the filter would go where the Xfinity service enters your residence, before any splitter to your other coax jacks you have installed.  Typically in a box on the side of your house, or in an equipment closet in an apartment situation.  As for how your home is wired with coax, and how your coax jacks are connected together nobody can answer that for you.  There is no standard.   

For your internal coax wiring, the splitter that connects the coax jacks together in your residence is going to be really important.  Older splitters are not going to work with your MoCA equipment.  You'll need splitters that can handle a frequency range up to 1675Mhz at a minimum, but use 5-2500 Mhz splitters.  Why?  Frequency response on a splitter is a curve.  It's usually pretty flat and stable mid-band, and signal starts to degrade and cut out on either end.   Older cable/sat equipment usually cuts out around 1000Mhz and your MoCA adapters won't work.  

I suggest you download the manual for your mesh network system, and for your MoCA adapters for install instructions, and how to configure your MoCA adapters, and how to connect them, especially if you are using security features of MoCA v2.5.  Usually it goes something like this:

modem <--> WAN port on mesh/router <--> Lan port on mesh <--> MoCA injector <---Coax Cable Run---> MoCA receiver <--> MoCA Ethernet LAN port <----> end device/Ethernet switch.    

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

1 year ago

Hi there, @user_DIY@flatlander3 provided some great information about the setup! Did that answer your concerns or do you have further questions? 

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

1 year ago

What sort of network layout do you have in mind?  What are you trying to connect with MoCA?  Are you trying to wire a computer for max speed?  Looking to put the modem and the main node of the mesh kit in different rooms?  MoCA works best point to point with no splitters.  It will work just fine with appropriate splitters (see Flatlander's post), but it's faster point to point.  The best way to set things up depends on where the cable comes in and what your wiring looks like.

You don't actually need a MoCA filter between a straight modem and the outside world.  Modems without router features cannot support MoCA connections.  Same with combo modem + WiFi router units in bridge mode and Xfinity gateways in bridge mode.  You do want one between those MoCA adapters and the outside, and between xFinity Gateways and any combo modem + WiFi router that supports MoCA if you were using one.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@zandor60657​ You want the POE filter installed if you are running MoCA gear, and not using a direct coax point-to-point with no splitters regardless, especially in an apartment or close neighbor situation (they didn't say) with a rats nest of coax, and multiple MoCA sources. It's a security vulnerability without it.  MoCA v2.5 has a notion of security with paring, IF you enable it, and IF and it works in whatever vendor used, but I wouldn't trust it.  You wouldn't want stray carriers on your coax anyway, so isolation is a good thing.    

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

I suppose I could have been a bit clearer on that.  Anything using MoCA needs to have a filter between it and the outside world.  The filter isn't necessary if nothing that has MoCA enabled has a path over coax to the outside world.  If you're using MoCA capable devices with MoCA disabled that have a path to outside a filter isn't required but counts as insurance.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here