M

Tuesday, August 13th, 2024 10:29 PM

Closed

MoCA Adapter Not Sending Internet

Just bought some ScreenBeam (ECB7250) MoCA adapters to get Ethernet running to my office. We have an xFi Gateway XB8 (Technicolor CGM4981) with MoCA enabled. All splitters have been upgraded to allow up to 1675hz. POE filter installed from street line into first 3-way splitter that goes to master bedroom, basement, and office. Master bedroom is just a cable box. Gateway is in the basement, which has a splitter to run to the Gateway and a cable box. I had a 3-way splitter there as well to install one of the MoCA adapters based on its instructions. After setting up that adapter, I setup the other adapter in the office. At this time, the WiFi stopped working and so did Ethernet. I did some more research and it sounds like since the Gateway supports MoCA, you only need a MoCA Adapter where you need Internet (i.e., my office). I removed the adapter in the basement and kept the one in the office. While my Gateway setup page (10.0.0.1) shows the MoCA Adapter as a connected device and in general says MoCA is enabled (both cable boxes also show they are MoCA connected), I am not getting internet out of the Ethernet port of the MoCA Adapter in my office. What am I missing?

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

1 month ago

I'll throw out a few suggestions.  Hopefully one of them will lead to a working MOCA network.  MOCA works well for me but I don't have the complication of the Xfinity gateway.

1) in the past I've read that Xfinity MOCA doesn't use any security protocols - if that is still the case you may need to use the Screenbeam configuration utility to turn off security on the adapter

2) go back to the 2 Screenbeam adapters but configure them to use a different frequency than the Xfinity MOCA - that would allow you to keep the security configured on the Screenbeams https://www.techreviewer.com/tech-answers/moca-adapter-with-xfinity/

3) search for a hidden splitter on one of the lines between the basement and office - found one in my parent's attic that really wasn't needed when I was trying to get their network going

Good Luck.

5 Messages

@user_2cef58​ I really appreciate your response! When I went to start looking at the ScreenBeam configuration information, I realized I didn't exhaust troubleshooting options. I tried plugging the Ethernet cable from the adapter directly into an old laptop instead of my work dock and it just worked. Updated the drivers and restarted my work dock and it started working there too. Should've tried that before posting but just assumed I messed up somewhere else. Thanks again for responding.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

1 month ago

Thank you for reaching out to us @mk270! I appreciate you for confirming these details! When signed in to 10.0.0.1, is the preferred network controller set to disabled?

(edited)

5 Messages

@XfinityAldrik​ Thanks for the reply. Preferred Network Control is enabled. The only option I have in that specific menu is to enable or disable MoCA, which in reality is permanently enabled as the status doesn't change when attempting to disable.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

You’re welcome @mk270! Just to confirm, the option “preferred network controller” in the Gateway > Connection >MoCA menu doesn’t have the option to be disabled?

On the MoCa menu, we will want the 'Preferred Network Controller' and 'MoCA Privacy' set to 'Disabled'. Once those options have 'Disabled' selected, we will want to click on 'Save' at the bottom of the page.

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

5 Messages

@XfinityAldrik​ That's correct. My only option is to disable MoCA entirely, which does not take when selecting 'Disabled' and then 'Save.' A pop-up appears that says an operation is in progress and it is working to save your settings, but MoCA remains enabled after the process. MoCA Privacy is not listed on that page for me either (much less as a changeable setting), but in the Connection > Status page MoCA Privacy is listed as disabled.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thank you for providing those details @mk270. It sounds like you’re encountering a persistent issue with disabling MoCA.

Here’s what we can do to address the problem:

1. Clear Cache and Cookies: Sometimes, browser issues can interfere with settings updates. Try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies or using a different browser to see if the issue persists.

2. Restart Your Equipment: Power cycle your modem and router by unplugging them for about 30 seconds, then plugging them back in. This can sometimes resolve configuration issues.

3. Check for Firmware Updates: Ensure your modem/router firmware is up-to-date. Sometimes, an outdated firmware version can cause settings to not apply correctly.

4. Try a Different Configuration Page: If possible, access your modem’s settings through a different method or app, if available, to see if you can disable MoCA from there.

5. Reset to Factory Settings: As a last resort, consider performing a factory reset on your modem/router. This will reset all settings to their default values, and you can try reconfiguring MoCA from scratch. Be aware that this will erase all custom settings.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, please let us know, and we can schedule a technician to go out for further assistance. We’re here to ensure everything is working smoothly for you.

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

5 Messages

@XfinityRoberto​ Thanks for your response. As detailed in my response to the other poster, this was resolved by updating the drivers on my work dock. Thanks for the suggestions though!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here