U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, December 15th, 2023 2:10 PM

Closed

MB8611 upstream speed on new Xfinity 10G network?

I got an email for Xfinity that I have to replace my modem to get the new upload speeds available Xfinity 10G network. However, the MB8611 is supposed to support Docsis 3.1 OFDMA upstream already, so before spending money on a new modem I'm wondering if anyone a MB8611 working with the new faster Docsis 3.1 upstream speed? My download speeds are fine.

MB8611 Upstream specs
• Data Rate:
Up to 800 Mbps*
• Bonded Channels:
Up to 8 SCQAM (DOCSIS 3.0) or
2 OFDMA (DOCSIS 3.1) 

My Upstream status in modem - no OFDMA channels:

Channel Lock Status Channel Type Channel ID Symb. Rate (Ksym/sec) Freq. (MHz) Pwr (dBmV)
   1 Locked SC-QAM 1 5120 16.4 50.0
   2 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 22.8 50.3
   3 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 29.2 51.3
   4 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 35.6 51.5

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

10 months ago

... new upload speeds available Xfinity 10G network. ... MB8611 ...

For a summary of what is needed for higher upload speeds, see https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/next-generation-internet/.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Accepted Solution

9 Messages

10 months ago

The new CODA56 Modem came in a day early. I hooked it up, used the Xfinity app (over 5G) to activate it, and after a couple of reboots it was online. I ran a speed test from my router (UniFi Dream Machine SE) and it pulled 1.3Gbps down and 236Mbps up. I'm still on the 1200/200 plan, so with the typical ~20% over-provisioning, those numbers seem right. It seems Xfinity is blocking the MB8611 from getting the faster upload speeds. Frustrating, to say the least.

9 Messages

10 months ago

I also received that email! I've been using an MB8611 since mid-2022, and it's been solid. I recall a year or so ago upgrading to the 1200/35 plan, and was regularly getting speeds of ~1.3Gpbs down and ~40Mbps up. Which makes sense given the limits are usually 20%-ish over the stated plan numbers. My promo ended the other day, so I called Xfinity to try to get on a new one. They found a good deal that got me below the old promo price, and said, "Oh, and you'll be happy to know that your upload speeds are faster. We've rolled up upgrades and you now get up to 200Mbps!" I. WAS. STOKED!

When I got home, I ran some speed tests and was still seeing the usual ~1.3Gbps/40Mbps speeds. I called Xfinity support asking why I wasn't seeing the 200Mbps upload speeds, since that's the plan I'm on, and I know the Mid-split upgrades have been rolled out through (all, most?) of the Atlanta market. I kept asking if they could tell me if the Mid-split had indeed been rolled out to my neighborhood/address - they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I tried asking if the problem was that my modem was being "blocked" from the higher upload speeds, because per specs, it's capable of something like 2300/800. Again, they didn't seem to know what to make of this question.

They said I needed to be on the 2000/200 plan to get the 200Mbps up, and it would be just $8/mo more. Which was still less than I was paying before. I tried to explain that doesn't make sense, but went ahead and allowed them to upgrade. The modem rebooted and then spent 30 minutes trying to get online. I restarted it. Factory reset it. All of the usual tricks. Then I called support back. Another hour later, and them trying all of the "we're sending a refresh," etc… and it still wasn't online. They wanted to send a tech out - in 3 days - to have a look. So I had them move me back to the 1200/200 plan. The modem restarted and immediately re-connected. Speed tests showed I was again getting ~1.3Gbps/40Mbps.

At this point, it's either Xfinity "blocking" my modem from getting the higher speeds, or the Mid-split just isn't rolled out to my neighborhood. I've ordered a CODA56 modem, which is on their Next Gen Speed Tier list (https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2023.11.22%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf). It arrives Sunday. The same day a tech is supposed to come out and test everything.

9 Messages

10 months ago

Thanks for the link, @BruceW . The TL;DR is that even with the Mid-split technology upgrade, the MB8611 is not (at least for now) going to get the higher upload speeds. Those speeds are currently ONLY for Xfinity-provided hardware, or the short list of "Next Gen Speed Tier" devices (see my link above for that list). Seeing as both the OP and I received the email mentioned in the article you linked, I'd expect upgrading to one of those devices, like the CODA56, should result in the higher upload speeds. I suppose we'll find out when my new hardware arrives.

Thanks!

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

10 months ago

@harmanly - Look forward to hearing how it goes with the new modem!

I'm hoping Xfinity will add more Docsis 3.1 modems from the "Recommended Devices" list to the "Next Gen Speed Tier" long-term so everyone doesn't have to e-waste their existing Docsis 3.1 modems. Question is how long to wait to find out...

Thanks for sharing!

2 Messages

5 months ago

Yup i am in the same boat! I've called them numerous times and they keep telling me i have to buy their modem which makes no sense to me when I just purchased this modem last year and this modem fully capable of supporting these new upload speeds. They support Upload speeds of up to 800Mbps according to Motorola. I am frustrated with xfinity that they can not acknowledge is that all they need is a new updated bootfile for our modems instead they are trying to make us lease their modems. Even the Arris S33 is supposed to be compliant and recommended and i also am seeing customers complaining they are not getting those speeds. Its a scam to make us buy their modem/routers. This is the certified list from xfinity that these devices support these speeds, if they are not on the list than they are not supported. the MB8611 is on the list and fully supported.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://assets.xfinity.com/assets/dotcom/projects/cix-4997_compatible-devices/2023.11.22%20Full%20List%20of%20Compatible%20Devices.pdf

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 months ago

... S33 ... MB8611 ...

Neither of those devices are approved for the new higher upload speeds. See:

Realize that although Comcast calls some devices "Approved" and some "Recommended", for all but a few devices those designations only mean "approved/recommended for use with their Internet service", and not necessarily approved for the new upload speeds.

You need one of Comcast's newer rental gateways (XB6, XB7, XB8) or one of the few retail devices shown in the "Next Gen Speed Tier" group with an upload speed rating in the "All Compatible Devices" PDF.  Also see the Reddit link, which lists the approved retail devices as well as other requirements for faster upload speeds. Comcast could make all of this much clearer, but they have chosen not to do so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

2 Messages

Thanks Bruce i appreciate your response but still don't get why they can't just update our Docsis 3.1 modems like they told me they would 2 yrs ago when I bought it to support the faster speeds esp. the Uploads when we all know that these modems can very well handle the bandwidth. I am an IT Manager and have been working in IT and Networking for a very long time and it's not brain science to release new updates for modems, routers or switches...., Just as they do now they need to update their bootfile's with new rate limiting codes, it is a very common thing but Comcast insists on playing these games with customers to make us lease their modems/routers which i do not wish to do esp so they can light up every city with their guest Wi-Fi's..... I don't know how many times I have turned them off and they just keep turning them back on, that is why i refuse to lease their Modem/Routers. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here