U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, March 6th, 2023 12:48 AM

Closed

MAC Filtering on Xfinity XB8 is not working

I'm trying to use the MAC Filter Setting on my wifi network configuration admin options here: http://10.0.0.1/wireless_network_configuration.jst. I update my MAC Filter Setting to allow only specific devices to connect by setting MAC Filtering Mode to "Allow" and added devices to the Wif-Fi Control List for my SSID. I saved the settings and rebooted the gateway. The settings are all there and seem to be correct, but they have no impact. Any device with the password is still allowed through to connect. I did some troubleshooting - forgetting the network and then re-adding it with a device that is not white listed. It connected with not problem, so the MAC filtering doesn't seem to be working. I talked to some Xfinity technical support agents about the issue, but they couldn't help me.

Problem Solver

• 

492 Messages

1 year ago

Hello @user_aad499, thank you for reaching out to us. Our team is here to help with your modem concern. Are there particular devices that you don't want connected to your home Wi-Fi? If so, about how many?

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityJimmy​  thanks for your response. This is related to parental controls and downtime on the Xfinity app. Those controls don't work, because it's easy to change the MAC address of a device and connect as a new unassigned device.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_aad499 The best way to ensure a device is not able to reconnect to your network would be to pause the device. The best-recommended option is to create a profile for the device in your Xfinity app and then pause the device you can even create an ID for all paused devices to help you manage any unwanted devices when they connect. You can also check out this page here for all your network management options using our Xfinity app. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi If you think you have unauthorized devices connecting to your network we do always recommend changing your network options for your password and even your network name and if you still need additional assistance you can reach out to our Customer Security assurance team 8:00 am - 12:00 am EST, 7 days a week

by calling 1-888-565-4329. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thank you, @XfinityAmandaB

I'm well aware of the xFi App parental control features. They don't work for teenagers who have spent 5 minutes researching for workarounds. All they have to do to defeat the Wi-Fi pause is to disconnect and re-connect to WiFi or change the MAC address on their PC and then reconnect as a new device. That's well documented on this forum by other parents and I have yet to see any support offered from Xfinity to prevent these types of loopholes. That is the reason for my original post here.

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_aad499 I wish we had a workaround for the MAC address being changed, but we don't. You should be notified if a new MAC address connects, however.

*edited for spelling*

(edited)

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityAmandaB, @XfinityJimmy​ , 

I also with you had a workaround for this. Can anyone respond to my initial post here about configuring the MAC Filter Settings in the wireless configuration settings (Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi)? I would expect someone to at least acknowledge the question. Are the Xfinity gateways just ignoring these settings now? If so, can someone acknowledge that please.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here