F

Friday, October 6th, 2023 2:24 AM

Closed

Latency is absoultely off the charts

I have the 1.2 Gbps tier of Xfinity with an XB8 modem.  Upstream latency frequently, particularly in the evening, is higher than 250 ms leading to any sort of online gaming to be unplayable.

https://imgur.com/a/YuGKntd

This isn't a one night issue, this has been every night since I moved to this apartment complex and changed to xfinity.  Would changing to my own modem and router combo alleviate this any?  I see the Hitron CODA56 is on sale on amazon as is a decent router.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

1 year ago

Hey, @foxreinhold. Thanks for posting on our Community Forums to let us know about your situation. I'm sorry to hear about the latency issues you have been experiencing. What type of connection are you using when this happens (Wi-Fi or Ethernet)? Is this happening on multiple devices? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps so far, such as rebooting the modem manually or through our awesome Xfinity app? 

5 Messages

Ethernet and yes, multiple devices.  Modem has been rebooted.  Just tested again - https://www.speedtest.net/result/15348414160.  Was even worse on wifi via phone.

1 Message

This issue is never ending. What Xfinity does best is to give you a run around with trivial workarounds.  They would never solve this issue or have no solutions. I spent 3.5hrs each call every day for the past 7 days.  On each call, Xfinity prep will transfer you to the next Prep. The reason is the person I spoke with has no solution, claimed other department will handle this issue. Worse case , they transfer you back to the queue or disconnect.

It drove me nut

Xfinity has the worse customer service. Call has no track record, no ticket, no note taken. I have to repeat my issue over and over each time I got transferred.  Imaging one call with 5-7 transfers  for a duration of 7 days.

Note that I have upgraded to 1Gb speed since 2022 and today is 2024 it is still the same. No solution.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

1 year ago

Thanks for getting back to us, @foxreinhold. Is the test result you just shared over Wi-Fi or ethernet? Are you currently playing online? What specific issues are you experiencing currently? 

5 Messages

That test was ethernet.  I am not currently playing multiplayer games - the connection is just too bad.  The most I do is look at youtube on my second monitor.  There are latency spikes in Overwatch 2 which is my primary online game.  I go from ~60ms to ~500 ms and back down.  Honestly even the 60s is a little high.  I'm on the 1.2 Gbps down / 35 Mbps up plan, which is the premium plan, so to be honest, I expect premium service.  If there was a higher plan I would get it.  I'm wondering if anyone has any luck with ditching the XB8 modem.  DOCSIS 4.0 is supposed to be coming "eventually", and I know there something about Mid Split frequencies going around, which is why I'm thinking of ditching the XB8 and going with the CODA56

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Hello, @foxreinhold We can assist in taking a deeper dive into your latency issues. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a direct message: 

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon near the bell icon. Click the direct message icon 
  2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)
  4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

5 Messages

@XfinityThomasC​ I appreciate it, I'll get this done soon.  It is likely congestion because it's pretty good until the evening.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

I rely on my internet daily and can appreciate you wanting it to work consistently. I'd be happy to run some troubleshooting for you today. Troubleshooting can also be done through the My Account App or online at https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet#troubleshooting.

Please feel free to reach out whenever it is convenient for you and we're happy to run some troubleshooting for you. One of the things I love most about this platform is that we are able to help customers at their convenience and can pick up right where you left off.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

1 year ago

If you're using WiFi please go get an ethernet cable and plug your gaming rig into your XB8.  Apartment complexes are often "not suitable" for WiFi gaming.  Way too many people competing for way too little spectrum.  Evening rolls around and tons of people are done with work/school/etc. and get online and starts streaming, gaming, etc.  A cable might not solve your problem but if you're not using one it is by far your best chance of fixing it.

If you're still having a problem with your gaming rig hardwired to the router...

Modems & routers don't have performance issues based on what the clock says.  They're either more or less random or caused by some outside source.  It's probably a network congestion problem.  Too many people on the same cable segment using too much bandwidth at the same time.  Evening is the classic time to have this problem.

I would not expect buying a modem/router to help since this sounds like a congestion problem.  Unfortunately apartment buildings and complexes are often a worst case for this.  Cable connections are shared between multiple homes.  If you're talking about a neighborhood of single family homes and/or small apartment & condo buildings Comcast can just split a segment if it gets too congested.  Larger apartment buildings and complexes may not allow segment splitting without assistance from the owners.  Many of them were wired years ago when cable was just for TV.

One thing that may be a glimmer of hope is that Comcast is rolling out increased upload speeds.  Or it might be a harbinger of additional doom.  Comcast equipment got the increased speeds first and just recently they started slowly rolling out increased upload speed to customer owned equipment.  But this varies by location.  Some places are already getting the increased speeds to customer owned equipment, others haven't even gotten them for rented XB8s yet.  So how fast is your upload at a quiet time of day?  1200 is usually 1200/35 officially, up to 1440/40 on a good day with no congestion.  New speeds are 100+ upload.  Can you ever get more than 40?  If not things might get better when Comcast gets around to rolling out increased upload speeds to your area.  If you can they may well get worse as Comcast rolls out increased upload speeds to customer owned equipment.  Comcast equipment got the faster speeds first.

Hitron CODA56 is one of the three modems Comcast currently approves for increased (OFDMA/DOCSIS 3.1) upload speeds, and is what I would buy if I wanted to buy a modem without voice support.  The only other modem with a 2.5Gb ethernet port and supported on the 1.2Gb plan that is currently supported for OFDMA upload is the Netgear CM2050V, and using one of those requires that you have Comcast VOIP service.  Do note that the Hitron CODA56, Hitron CODA, and Netgear CM2050V are all modems not routers and you will need a separate router to make them work aside from plugging one directly into a computer with an ethernet cable.  I don't think new gear is going to fix your problem but if I were to buy something right now I'd get a Hitron CODA56 (no phone) or Netgear CM2050V (phone service required).

Expert

• 

106.5K Messages

@zandor60657 wrote;

or Netgear CM2050V (phone service required).

It can be used either way. They just won't provision it for voice service, only data service.

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

5 Messages

@zandor60657​ 

Yeah, it's pretty much evenings only.  2 PM EST came up with nice speeds.  It's likely massive congestion for the apartment complex.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 year ago

... Netgear CM2050V (phone service required).

Not quite. A device that supports phone service is required if you subscribe to Home Phone, but Home Phone is not required to use a modem that has support for the service. Customers without Home Phone just doesn't use that feature of the device. Typically we don't buy devices with extra-cost features we do not intend to use, but there are circumstances where we might have reasons for doing so.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

3 Messages

7 months ago

I am in the exact same boat 

Expert

• 

106.5K Messages

7 months ago

@user_zr5ktu 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. The original poster has not returned. 6-month-old dead thread is now being closed.

For future reference, it is better to submit your own post as it creates a ticket to get help, and posting on someone else's older thread can delay getting help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here