D

Friday, August 9th, 2024 1:59 AM

Large ping spikes on 5GHz network to VR headset

My XB6 gateway recently decided to restart and in doing so, changed the bandwidth to my VR headset from 2.4 to 5 gigahertz for connection. This has resulted in far worse spikes in ping with no way for me to change it back, as the gateway does not allow me to select bandwidth. I was having issues previously with the 2.4 GHz connection mainly related to it dropping connection on occasion. Now games are completely unplayable with a constant ping of over 100ms and no way to remedy it. I am no more than 30 feet from the router, with a single wall between me and the router due to the position of the coax jacks in the apartment. I have tried multiple methods to either remedy the ping or get back to a 2.4 GHz connection with no success.

2 Messages

1 month ago

I have also tested the ping standing in the same room as the router, no more than 5 feet away. Results stay similar, with ping to Dallas servers from VA averaging over 100ms, with frequent spikes into the 200ms range.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @donomyrick, Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your day to leave a post on our community forum. If you could send our team a direct message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. To send a Direct Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a direct message.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

1 month ago

@donomyrick @XfinityChelseaB 

Please circle back here and post any possible solutions for the issue here in these open public forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here