egwolfe's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Dec 11, 2020 4:00 AM

ISPs DHCP is not functioning properly - ASUS Router

I am having this same issue: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Your-ISP-s-DHCP-is-not-functioning-properly-ASUS-rou...

Arris SB8200 modem, and ASUS RT-AC3200. I have been through basic troubleshooting steps. Bypassed the router and plugged directly into modem and couldn't get an IP address via DHCP on the computer, even by bypassing router. Therefore, I have ruled out the problem being specific to the router itself, in bypassing the modem.

Could someone send a provisioning signal to my modem, like in the original thread?

Responses

Accepted Solution

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

6 m ago

I had some kind of interference, or crosstalk on either the service line or network cables. Technician changed out the coax connectors on the service line, and ran a ground wire to the splitter.
EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

6 m ago

@egwolfe wrote:
Bypassed the router and plugged directly into modem and couldn't get an IP address via DHCP on the computer, even by bypassing router thread?

FWIW, in the scenario where you are connecting a device directly to a straight cable modem, you need to power cycle/re-boot the modem each and every time that you change the device that is being directly connected to it in order for that device to be able to get an internet connection.

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

6 m ago

Glad that it got straightened out. Topic now being closed.

New to the Community?

Start Here