S

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, March 8th, 2023 6:08 PM

Closed

Is phone cable a standard phone cable - labeled as Data Cable connected to modem?

I want to move my Cable Modem to another side of the room, but the phone cable attached to the cable modem is too short.  The phone cable has a label on it that says "Data Cable".   My question is if this is truly a standard phone cable or is different in any manner?  I wanted to purchase a longer cable.  Attached is a picture.

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

2 years ago

It appears to be the size of a standard RJ11 phone plug to me. A larger yellow RJ45 ethernet plug is below. What does it say by the jack that it is plugged in to ? Phone / phone symbol ?

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@EG​ Yes, there's a phone symbol in the RJ11 port #1 behind the Cable Modem. And the other end of the cable goes into the phone jack on the wall of my home.  The yellow RJ45 cable is used when I direct connect my computer to the Cable Modem.  The "Data Cable" label is what made me question if this cable is more than a standard phone cable.

(edited)

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

2 years ago

@SamS88 

Wonder how it got mislabeled ?

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@EG​ Not sure, it has been labeled this way since the original installation.  I have a second phone line and it is also labeled "Data Cable" as well.  Both cables have been provided by Xfinity.  Here's a picture of the 2nd line.

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

2 years ago

Hmmm...... Oh well..... Take care !

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@EG​ Thank you for the help. I will assume it's a standard phone line and see what happens.

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@SamS88​ I had DSL for a while.  The regular phone lines were a bit of a static sounding mess, so they ran a clean run for DSL on One jack for the DSL modem, rather than trying to figure out where all the splices and terminal blocks were. 

Back in the fax line days, they used to do that too with double jacks for different phone lines.  Wild card wiring :) 

Problem Solver

• 

577 Messages

@SamS88 Hello and good afternoon once again. I hope your Monday and week are going great so far. I just wanted to reach back out to follow up, were you able to get a longer phone cord, and if so, did it work to move your modem across the room without any issues? -Christopher

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

2 years ago

@SamS88 wrote: @EG​ Not sure, it has been labeled this way since the original installation.

When you say "the original installation", are you referring to a Comcast install ? Did the Comcast intallation tech supply that phone cord ?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here