U

Saturday, July 13th, 2024 3:21 AM

Internet speeds dropping significantly for no obvious reason

We pay for the 1.2 GB internet plan. We run it through a Google Nest home wifi system with multiple extenders. It has worked great up until the last month (been running it like this for over 3 years). We routinely would get speeds over 600 Mbps and usually over 800 when testing closest to the router on devices running on wifi. Speeds usually in the 200+ for devices far away from router (3 floor house). Over the last month or so speeds closest to router are now not reaching even 100 Mbps and often not even 50. Nothing has changed in our set up and we have tried unplugging/resetting the Xfinity router and Google router multiple times. Would like to know why speeds have dropped so much especially given what we pay each month and how to fix it.

Official Employee

• 

772 Messages

2 months ago

user_k20050 Glad you reached out, I can understand how it is concerning that speeds have decreased over the last month and I would love to help. Have you reset your modem or tried any troubleshooting steps? I highly recommend our Xfinity app? Using the Xfinity Assistant on our Xfinity app provides similar troubleshooting a customer service agent it is a great place to start. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/internet-connectivity-troubleshooting

5 Messages

Yes, as indicated in my initial post I have reset the Xfinity router (including unplugging it from power and from cable connection) and my Google Nest router (including unplugging it from power and Ethernet cable) multiple times. Not sure what the app is going to tell me as I’ve read the troubleshooting tips on the website already. As mentioned, nothing in our home set up has changed, so feels like something on Xfinity’s end. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for clarifying, @user_k20050. If you could send our team a direct message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you.

To send a Direct Message, please click on the “Direct Message” icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon, then type or select "Xfinity Support". Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window and press Enter to send your message and initiate a live session.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

2 months ago

This is happening to us as well. Every single day I have to reset the router 3 to 6 times a day. Every day. I even upgraded our internet plan to the 1.2 Gig speed and it still does it. It's been happening for an about a month. I've contacted customer service and tech support numerous times. I've even swapped out our router for a new one. Still happening. So frustrating. 

5 Messages

Ours continues to be a challenge, a month later. For what I pay for this “premium speed service” this is a joke. I just end tested our speed today, not much streaming in our house at the moment and it is 39 mpbs. That is laughable. And unacceptable. Comcast - what do you recommend?

5 Messages

20 days ago

Posting again one month later with no resolution or improvement. We pay for the 1.2 GB internet plan. We run it through a Google Nest home wifi system with multiple extenders. It has worked great up until the last month (been running it like this for over 3 years). We routinely would get speeds over 600 Mbps and usually over 800 when testing closest to the router on devices running on wifi. Speeds usually in the 200+ for devices far away from router (3 floor house). Over the last month or so speeds closest to router are now not reaching even 100 Mbps and often not even 50. Nothing has changed in our set up and we have tried unplugging/resetting the Xfinity router and Google router multiple times. Would like to know why speeds have dropped so much especially given what we pay each month and how to fix it.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Internet speeds dropping for no reason, nothing has changed in our set up. Unacceptable for what we pay.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here