U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, March 1st, 2022 8:48 PM

Closed

Internet speed of ~30Mbps is 20x slower than my plan speed of 600Mbps!

My Internet speed has been consistently slow for the last few days at ~30Mbps. This is 20x slower than my plan speed of 600Mbps! I have restarted my modem, and that did not resolve this either. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Literally having the same issue. They sent a new router and that didn't fix it. Now they're having me go to the store for the "highspeed" router. Give me a break. Wasted a month of my time.

Problem Solver

• 

785 Messages

@user_fd4a54 I can understand how this is frustrating.

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Problem Solver

• 

954 Messages

3 years ago

Hello @user_851a04. I am very sorry to hear that you are having these slow speeds and I would love to assist you! It has been a couple of days, since you reached out. If you are still having issues, we will want to get your account pulled up and start getting this resolved. If that is the case, please send me a direct message with your first and last name, along with your complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.   

Here are detailed steps to direct message us:  

• Click "Sign In" if necessary 
  • Click the direct message icon
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon 
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list 
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 
  • Press Enter to send your message 

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

3 years ago

Hey there! I am not an official support but I am happy to help troubleshoot!
I know exactly what it feels like to ask for support only to be met with a sales pitch!
I even know what happens after you succumb to said sales pitch and buy the gigabit plan.

Background:
I have the same issues and I've done extensive troubleshooting which I'm happy to share.
I rented two xb3 modems, 1 xb6 modem, and 1 xb7 modem (xb7 being the latest new model)
None of these modems resolved my issues! In fact I get more speed on my Docis 3.0 than I do
on Xfinity's Docis 3.1 Xb7!
So what gives right?! Why would they constantly try to sell us these terrible pieces of hardware / software?!

I'll tell you what I think and official support can correct me if I'm wrong.
When you use an xfinity certified modem Xfinity sees all devices that use internet from that modem.
So if you have 20 devices on the network Xfinity's tries to automatically allocate bandwidth to each device.
So if you're paying for 900 down with 30 up. that is being divided among the 20 devices in your home.
But maybe your tv your your alexa your google puck your smart watch your cameras etc
maybe they don't need the same amount of bandwidth as your main device does?
how do you ensure you get all of your speed to your main device without disconnecting 19 other machines!?

Normally
You put your modem in bridge mode.
You connect your modem to a router.
You hide your routers MAC address.

If you do not hide your routers mac address
Xfinity sees your routers model and outright denies your DHCP request
or severely throttles your speeds during your recorded peak usage hours.

I personally think it's a huge step to have to spoof your routers MAC address
just to get the internet you're paying for at the speed you are promised.
I have also noticed even when you do get your desired speed out of your
equipment Xfinity will throttle your connection until you spoof your routers MAC again
which makes Xfinity hand you a new IP. On this new IP generally I get 2-3 days of good
internet before the horrendous throttling begins to attack again.

This means to use your service every time before you start
you have to reactivate your modem and make your router's MAC address look like a PC
if you want to use more than one device on your home network.

o/ If you want more help feel free to post I will be checking in periodically to see if anyone
knowledgeable from Xfinity has posted.

I should also note even this method is not foolproof as eventually after 5 activations DHCP takes a 7 day break from handing your
existing equipment new IP addresses. For this reason I keep 3 cable modems in my home. I swap a lot. I do not like talking to support every day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not official Xfinity support but they can't or won't help me either so
I'm offering support to all other cases hoping someone looks at mine.
https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/upload-drops-02000-kbps-unstable/6220b1aaaef5c36d133d6334

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

My speed at the modem is all over the place now. I have twice measured speeds >600Mbps but then it drops to 30-40Mbs in a few mins! 

ive started a direct message with Xfinity Support and will keep you all posted if they can help

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

I am not an official Xfinity support! but I wanted to come say Hi! and wish you lots of luck with your Xfinity support request!

@user_851a04​ fun fact:
Xfinity used to train their technicians to use the website testmy.net to troubleshoot bandwidth speed issues.
testmy.net uses a completely different method compared to speedtest.net and xfinity speedtest app.
Crazy right!?
It's almost like Speedtest.net and Xfinity Speedtest app were created to bypass using Testmy.net!

You can read all about speedtests comparisons and history here:
https://testmy.net/ipb/topic/30131-testmynet-shows-different-results-than-other-speed-tests/

Short version:
Testmy.net refused to create servers that would estimate instead of actually test internet speeds.
Testmy.net bandwidth testing methods use ZERO guessing / estimating algorithms.
Can't say the same for Speedtest.net or the Xfinity Speed Test app!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not official Xfinity support but they can't or won't help me either so
I'm offering support to all other cases hoping someone looks at mine.
https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/upload-drops-02000-kbps-unstable/6220b1aaaef5c36d133d6334

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have been receiving "check your internet connection" notices since 3/2.....all xfinity says is "restart your modem".....NOTHING HELPS

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@user_76767c​ 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@user_76767c​ I share your frustration. Xfinity Support was quite useless... check if the coax cables are tightly connected, restart 6 times, etc etc. In the end they said a technician would have to come troubleshoot and they may bill me for the visit. I have confirmed speeds >600Mbps on 2 occasions so it doesn't seem like my line or equipment is flaky! 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

yea, won't do any good.....from the reports online, it's [Edited: "Language"] service all over the US

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I have also tested my internet speed many times and worked with Xfinity tech support to improve my internet performance. Nothing has made a difference. Basically, I am supposed to have 300Mbps service yet the highest speed I have ever seen in a test is 160Mbps. Generally, the readings are in the 145Mbps area on average. I do not understand how Xfinity gets away with advertising significantly higher speeds than they are actually delivering. [Edited: "Soliciting"]

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

352 Messages

While you are running your speed tests, which site are you using? Also, are these results using WiFI, or are you hardwired?

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here