G

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, April 16th, 2022 3:38 AM

Closed

Internet dropping issues - will Xfinity install an active amplifier?

Greetings,

We have been having the dreaded “internet drop” problem again, which seems to return every several months after we go through a hair pulling exercise with technicians. 

I did some research and it turns out that an active amplifier is supposed to help with the high upstream problems that I am seeing in our numbers. Picture is linked below. 

Would an Xfinity tech install one of these outside of the house? In my neighborhood, the telephone poles are behind our houses in a common driveway and it appears that the splitters are about 20 feet up on the poles and there are a mess of wires. I would not even attempt to figure out that rats nest. 

It seems kind of odd that in all of the forums here I have never come across this fix, but many people on YouTube have installed these to great success. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on these devices and whether I can install them myself, please let me know. 

Thanks,
jason. 

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

2 years ago

If a tech can not get that high upstream power back down to being within specs using the proper methods for improving the line connection quality, then yes. They can install a drop amplifier that has an active return as a band-aid fix. You can also purchase and install one yourself and see. YMMV.

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@EG​ problem is, I have no idea where to install it. Outside the house the cables go out to a utility pole that is behind my yard (NE Philly) and there are a number of connections up there. I don’t have boxes outside my house that I’m aware of. Inside the house there is just one 3 way splitter. But I don’t see where I would install it myself and I don’t want to mess with the pole as there’s no way I would know what I’m plugging and unplugging. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@EG​ this is a splitter inside the house and the only place I can get to that seems like it would be a candidate for the amplifier. The ones I am seeing on Amazon are made by same company. 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

You would use it as a *powered* splitter rather than that *passive* splitter in the pic. Get one with the number of ports that you need, and consider any possible future needs;

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=drop+amplifier+active+return 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Thank you! Massive help. 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

My pleasure ! Good luck ! Please post back with how things go.

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

2 years ago

Better ! Live with it a while now and see.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here