U

Sunday, September 22nd, 2024 11:59 PM

Internet connections

How can I keep people from connecting to my network that I do not know. I have a password on my network

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

15 days ago

Good evening @user_vrr9rj, and thank you for reaching out on our Community Forums tonight, we appreciate your patience and hope you are otherwise having a wonderful weekend! I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with people you do not know connecting to your network. Rest assured, we take our customers online security very seriously and are here to help with your concerns. Have you by chance tried hiding or disabling your in-home WiFi network? You can try doing so by following the instructions listed on our website here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hide-disable-in-home-wifi. Does this information help? Please let us know because if not, we can look into next steps. Our team is here with you every step and wants to make sure that we get this resolved. 

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

14 days ago

The concern is not "accessibility / disability" help related. Topic moved here to the proper help section for assistance. 

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

14 days ago

@user_vrr9rj 

First. Is this a Comcast rented gateway device ? If so, perhaps your neighbors are inadvertently connecting to your network / gateway device via the MoCA feature that's built into it. MoCA (Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) is an alternate hardwired way to connect devices to a home network if ethernet cabling can not be used/run. It uses the existing coax cable wiring instead of ethernet cabling. 

If the MoCA feature is enabled, and you do not have a PoE (Point of Entry) MoCA filter installed on the coax line, yours, and your neighbor's gateway devices will be able to connect with each other like one big network. 

Disable it if you aren't using it. If you are, install a PoE MoCA filter on the input port of the first splitter off of the street drop to keep the MoCA signal in your premises and to keep the neighbor's signals out. Your neighbors should also have PoE filters installed.

To disable MoCA on your device. First, unplug the coax cable line from the jack on the gateway device. Then go to the gateway login http://10.0.0.1    

Default login info is:
Username: admin (all lowercase)
Password: password

Once in you will find the drop-down on the left of the screen that is labeled “Connections”.

Click the drop down---> click MoCA---> right side of screen click “disable”---> save changes.

Bear in mind that we've seen many posts here that the MoCA feature gets turned back on with their overnight re-boots / updates for the device. The best policy is to be sure to use that PoE filter ! Amazon has them: https://www.amazon.com/SNLP-1GCW-Filter-Eliminate-Multi-Room-Interference/dp/B07SLD9QPH     

Or you may be able to get one for free at your local Comcast / Xfinity store. Or book a tech to come out and install one for you.

If the MoCA feature is not being used on your home network, you can put the PoE filter right at the back of your gateway device instead.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here