U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 30th, 2022 10:20 PM

Closed

Internet Connection through MDU-HD COAX Modem port

My in-laws just moved into an apartment in a care home.  The internet they are provided by the facility is shared WIFI with all the other units. I believe the WIFI is supported by Comcast Business. The unit is at the furthest away and it is [Edited: "Language"].  The facility has MDU-HD units in the apartment. These units have both an HDMI Port (that their TVs are connected to for the shared Cable package), but the units also have a 'To Modem' coax port.   How do I get direct wired internet to their unit so I can put in their own private wifi/SSID.  I tried using a bridge, and this worked, but it also, is VERY slow.  Also, the people at the facility are no help at all.  Any advice or guidance on what to ask for or how this situation is normally addressed would be greatly appreciated.

Contributor

• 

156 Messages

2 years ago

@user_39e961 

was in a similar situation not long ago, so I feel your pain.

(in my case, the only person at the facility who knew anything about the tech stuff was, yes I kid you not... the cook!)

never seen an MDU box with a "To Modem" port so can't help you there

as far as using a bridge, the two things I did that noticeably improved reception were:

- experiment with placement of the bridge - the most logical spot isn't always the best performing spot

- if the bridge has removable antennas, try buying some replacements with more sensitivity/higher gain.

Good Luck!

PS - Is there a make/model on the MDU?

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@zip21222​ it is a mdu hd-udta-e.  It looks just like this.  My assumption is the I would just connect an appropriate DOCSIS modem to it, call Comcast and have the appropriate internet plan allocated to the modem MAC address/and their account, and that would be that.  I just don’t know if there are facility specific config for these boxes that might doable things like the internet part. Been having a hard time finding the right phone menu option on the Comcast line to even ask them about it directly. 

Contributor

• 

156 Messages

@user_39e961​ 

sigh... was hoping a search on that part# would provide some insight, but google came up empty...

You're definitely in a tough spot there, where you're not Xfinity's customer (at least not yet) so no one's gonna talk to you.

Sounds like your only hope is to find someone in facility management who at least knows how to contact Comcast.

Good Luck!!!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.9K Messages

Hey there, @user_39e961

My team can take alook into this for you. Can you direct chat message our support team with your full name and the full service address that you parents are living in? I will do my best to look in on my side and help out in any way we can. :) 

To send the requested information:
  • Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Messaging" icon 
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support"
      there. As you are typing a drop-down list appears.
  • Select "Xfinity Support" from that list. An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here