U

Saturday, August 10th, 2024 5:42 PM

Intermittent Wi-Fi speeds - dramatic slowdowns

My Wi-Fi connection speeds vary throughout the day from over 800Mps to less than 2Mbps on devices that are stationary throughout the house.  All Wi-Fi connections register as "Strong" on the app even though the speedtest results are VERY weak.  The Wi-Fi bandwidth just disappears.  The Xfinity network connection to the Gateway router is great 1200+ Mbps (I have just replaced the Xfinity Gateway router with a new one, but the problem still exists). 

Occasionally, I will get a notification on an iPhone that "This network is operating on Wi-Fi channels in use by several other nearby networks."

When I restart the router it will generally improve a little (up to 200Mbps), but I just can't tell when the W-Fi connections will die.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

1 month ago

user_dssk0p Thanks for reaching out with you connection speed concerns. Do you know how many devices are online at one time when you see the speed vary between devices? 

4 Messages

Thanks very much for your reply! 

The speed doesn't vary between devices - meaning all devices experience the same drop in WiFi connectivity at the same time.  As mentioned above, the Xfinity app always says the Wifi connections are strong, even during the dramatic drops in speed. The drops in speed happen intermittently at least 2x per day.  There doesn't seem to be a specific pattern of when it will occur.  There are between 4-8 devices online.

Official Employee

• 

737 Messages

user_dssk0p I am really sorry you are experiencing service issues. I understand how frustrating it is, and I am happy to help you troubleshoot your service. First I will ask a few questions to better understand the root of the problem. We value you as a loyal customer and would like to resolve this issue, so you can enjoy our great service.  To avoid repeating any steps you may have already taken, can you please describe what you have done to resolve your service issue?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

Initially I would reset the router several times a day.

I then replaced the router with a new one.

The problem has not been resolved.

Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

889 Messages

@user_dssk0p Are you using the same Wi-Fi name and password for both your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands? That allows our gateway to move devices between the bands to help with range, traffic, interference, and more. If not, would you mind trying that for 24 hours and seeing if it helps?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

I believe that I am using the same Wi-Fi name and password for both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz bands because I have setup only 1 network and 1 password.

Thanks

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here