Anon1210784's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Friday, August 30th, 2024 11:10 PM

Intermittent internet and television service interruption.

I have been experiencing intermittent internet and television service interruptions for the past several weeks.

These interruptions last anywhere from 5 seconds to 1 hour, and present as nearly 100% packet loss and garbled freeze frames from the cable box.

I experienced this a 3 years ago when I had business internet from Comcast. It was explained to me by the regional support agent (whose name and number I have lost) that was sent out after 3  regular tech visits that this is due to interference on the cable line causing the modem's upstream power to peak and trigger the safety shutoff. For the record when this happens modem upstream power is peaking at ~56 dBmV.

The cable line from the pole to my house is only 3 years old.  This occurs with the Xfinity Gateway whether it is in bridge mode or not.

After dealing with the useless Xfinity Assistant chatbot for the past several weeks I come here as a last ditch effort to actually be able to talk to a human being at Xfinity about this.

Official Employee

• 

880 Messages

15 days ago

@Anon1210784, Thank you for your post. Do you get any text messages or app notifications that there is an issue in your area when this happens? There can be many causes for intermittent service like this, so I don't want to jump to conclusions and possibly miss important details. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

I very rarely get text messages about service outages. When this is occurring it's up to dozens of times a day, sometimes for a couple weeks straight) over the past 4 years and I think I've only ever received ~8 text messages about service issues, and the issue has persisted even after receiving "We've completed maintenance" messages.

The most recent outage restored message I received was Thursday (after severe weather) and issues persisted Friday and Saturday. I wound up inadvertently replying with the "Everything is good" reply because some UX sadist has decided to start swapping the 1="Everything Good", 2="Still having an issue" response code every other prompt.

More information: This issue occurs almost exclusively during the warmer months (late spring, summer, early fall). I have not yet noticed it in the colder months.

Chronology

Started in 2021

Mostly absent/unnoticeable in 2022

Began again in  2023, but I was too busy with personal issues to try and get it addressed

Resumed in 2024, not as bad as 2021

It has not been happening the past 2 days, but that historically that hasn't meant anything. I'm still seeing some temporary spikes in upstream power level but not to the level of triggering service interruption.

This one occurred while I was writing this reply, and lasted for about 2 minutes.  Prior to this levels were 40-41.5 dBmV

Power Level
46.75 dBmV
48.25 dBmV
41.50 dBmV
41.50 dBmV
41.00 dBmV
46.50 dBmV

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for these details @Anon1210784! At this time, I’d like to take a further look at the signals going to the modem and run some tests. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there
 - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list
 - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

14 days ago

@Anon1210784 

You'll want to get the techs reinvolved and keep pressure on Comcast until things are fixed properly.

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it up to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home. And if the problem is found to be on their side of the demarcation point, there will not be any charge.

Good luck !

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

13 days ago

@Anon1210784 @XfinityAldrik 

Please circle back here and post any possible solutions for the issue here in these open public forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 days ago

Had the tech out Monday. He agreed with my evaluation: external interference coming in. Replaced the drop because that's standard procedure. Also enrolled my modem in an enhanced monitoring program to take more regular/advanced measurements from the modem to check if there are other issues stemming from the line. I still firmly believe that the issue is on the Xfinity line, but with the advanced monitoring I am hopeful they gather enough data to track it down.

Still waiting on the results from that however.

Expert

• 

105.9K Messages

3 days ago

Thanks for the update ! Hope it gets figured out ! Please update again.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here