user_ms3828's profile

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, August 28th, 2023 6:45 PM

Closed

Intermittant Internet outages after storms in SE Michigan

Hello Xfinity Community,

I want to start this post off by saying, I have had stable internet for many months prior to the issue I'm currently facing.

The Coax cable comes into my house and routes through a 1 to 2 splitter (A CommScope SV-2G, the xfinity tech installed it during their setup visit a long while ago)

None of my in home hardware or cabling has changed in all that time and it used to run flawlessly.

When the internet is working (95% of the time) It's fast and hits my advertised speeds.

That all being said, for the last ~3 weeks I've had an issue that takes down my internet for roughly 30 to 60 seconds each time it occurs.

This issue started after our region got hit by some SEVERE storms, I'm talking hail looking like golf balls, downed tree branches and power lines, etc...

The interruptions are just long enough to drop my streams/online gaming and after the ~60 seconds, everything pops back online and we are back in business.

My in-home network includes a Meraki MX65W security appliance, which has a lot of tools to help troubleshoot network issues.

During my short outages, the graphs are recording high amounts of packet loss out to Xfinity DNS (75.75.75.75) and google DNS (8.8.8.8).

Only the graph to Xfinity DNS is pictured:

Here are the connection details on my cable modem right now (MB8600), maybe there's something obvious that I can't see, but the internet works great when the issue isn't happening.

The disconnections happen so quickly, I can't get to this page during an event, so it's hard to gather what my connection details are when it happens.

I've done a full reset on my MB8600 with a paperclip and watched it return to factory settings and then reestablish a connection. Still experience intermittent drops during the day.

Doesn't seem to be any worse during rain vs sun or based on time of day, and it has happened every day, at least once, for the last three weeks.

This is the best I could do with my Modem Logs:

20:28:28 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation
Sun Aug 27 2023    
11:02:25 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:02:25 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:02:25 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:02:25 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:02:26 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:02:26 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:04:50 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:04:50 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:21:39 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:38:28 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:38:28 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:38:28 Warning (5) RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:38:28 Warning (5) Dynamic Range Window violation
Mon Aug 28 2023    
11:38:29 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Mon Aug 28 2023    

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Brian M.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

OK, Xfinity tech visited this morning and ran through the tests with his little machine.

Said the lines inside/out tested clean and didn't support any loss in signal.

He visited the termination point at the green box in the yard (I'm really not sure what it's called) and said he found an old line that was throwing a lot of "feedback".

He's explanation was "It was likely a previous Xfinity customer that moved on to satellite or similar and the old line was still hooked up and causing interference".

The link causing feedback was, of course, right next to ours so he was confident that the feedback was interrupting our signal and causing the timeouts/resets/drops to our line.

Now we have to wait and monitor and make sure the line remains stable.

I'll confirm this as the solution if we get stable connection throughout the weekend. I'm thinking 3 days of solid connection is evidence enough.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

1 year ago

Thank you very much for reaching out to us here @user_ms3828. I would be happy to look into that issue with your internet connection for you from here. Could you send me a direct message with the full name and complete address for your service?

To send a direct message [private message]:

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

Expert

• 

105.6K Messages

1 year ago

@user_ms3828 @XfinityJohnG 

Please circle back here and post any possible solutions for the issue here in these open forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

**Update to the thread**

Spent some time in a chat with xFinity support and they drug me through the standard rigmarole that they are required to perform. (Reboot the modem, unplug it for 5 minutes, etc...)

We monitored the connection after the changes were made and there was still the drops.

The support person informed me they are "seeing some issues with my cable line" in the chat.

As of today, I have a tech scheduled to troubleshoot further in my home and the surrounding termination points/junction boxes (I hope).

Appt is on the 7th (Sept) - So I will follow up with any findings or resolutions after that time. 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Appointment was rescheduled to the 15th, sorry for the lack of update - will circle back after the tech has a chance to diagnose the lines

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

OK Everyone,

This issue appears to have been put to bed, I've had a clean/lossless connection since the tech left on the 15th:

No errors to speak of on the cable modem and the numbers on the connection tab are strong.
Cheers all!

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Thank you so much for taking the time to update your thread with the solution, @user_ms3828! Our technicians are awesome at what they do and I'm so glad they were able to get you back up and running! I hope you have a great rest of your day :). 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here