D

Wednesday, January 10th, 2024 5:04 PM

Closed

Individual Device Data Usage

We've had a recent spike in data usage in our household and i am not sure why.  I cannot find device specific data usage.  I need to be able to see that data so that i can narrow down what devices or who is suddenly using more data.  Can anyone help with this?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

8 months ago

Hello @Dreldan There are many factors that can count in an increased data usage. Below are a few examples; you can also view our FAQs here.  

Programs that Use Data in the Background
A wide range of programs and mobile apps continue to use data even when they are only running in the background. These may include:

• Photo Backup Services such as Google Photos, Amazon Prime Photos and Apple iCloud
  • Document and Data Backup Services such as Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Apple iCloud, Dropbox and Box
  • Music and Video Streaming Services such as Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, Google Play Music, YouTube, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Movies, Google Play Movies and Xfinity Stream
  • Filesharing, P2P and Torrent Programs
  • Software Updates for operating systems such as Microsoft Windows or gaming services such as Steam

You can monitor your usage through the Xfinity app (WiFi > View WiFi equipment > Advanced settings > Data Usage) or online at Xfinity.com. (Go to the Devices page on xfinity.com to see your Data Usage Overview.
You’ll need to sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
If you’re already logged in, you can also click the Internet tab located under Your services at the top of the site.) 

You can also check by disconnecting a device, such as a computer, phone, gaming system and monitor the usage if you continue to see it higher than normal. 

For unusually high numbers or if you suspect fraudulent activity we recommend reaching out to our Customer Security Assurance Team (CSA) internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse

9 Messages

@XfinityEva​ I've tried that link 3x now, once from this thread and twice from another thread that was closed and left unsolved.  This is all I get, everything else is working but that link. 

This site can’t be reached

internet-security-site-web.ho-g3.cf.comcast.net took too long to respond.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall
  • Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Have you tried clearing the cache and cookies on your device, trying to access the site using another web browser, or using another device, @user_xsmeea

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

5 months ago

I have the same problem, and there seems to be no feature offered to manage/view data by device.   I have spent a ridiculous amount of time with customer non-support on this.  they seem more interested in selling me a cell phone plan than fixing the problem.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

user_6q5x3x We're sorry to hear this has been your experience so far. Please keep in mind that Data Usage Plans do not apply to the following:
  • Xfinity Internet customers on our Gigabit Pro (2 Gbps) tier of service.
  • Business Internet customers.
  • Customers on Bulk Internet agreements negotiated with their apartment/unit complex.
  • Customers with Prepaid Internet.
  • Internet Essentials and IEPP customers

Other important things to keep in mind when searching for the usage through the usage meter:

• Primary or self-managed secondary account holders can view their current usage and usage history by signing into their personalized usage meter at xfinity.com/usagemeter.
  • Customers can also view their current usage and usage history in the Xfinity app.
  • For examples of applications and services that may contribute to a customer's data usage, you can visit xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

5 months ago

I also started having this issue recently and can't figure out what device is using how much data.
It's very frustrating while trying to narrow things down.
Low key feels like xfinity artificially boosting usage numbers to encourage upgrading to an unlimited plan :v

2 Messages

4 months ago

Xfinity,

I am having the same issue. Being an IT professional, I monitor my own data usage thought third party tools. The Xfinity numbers and my numbers differ wildly. This month my Xfinity tracked usage is in excess of 900 GB, yet I am unable to discern what device, if any is using this data from any Xfinity tool. I cannot even find a way to categorize what type of data is used (browsing, streaming, etc). If you are going to charge customers by data usage, which in of itself is ridiculous, they should be able to review their own data usage by device and and type.

Is there a reason you took away features to review data usage in detail?

1 Message

3 months ago

xfinity,

We have always been within the 1TB limits and nothing has changed in our household that should increase consumption.

Does this even make sense?

2 Messages

@user_l0ww0c​ 

I have seen similar spikes for the previous 8 months barely hit 100GB, then all of the sudden with no changes, almost 1.1 TB. Only thing that changed is the supposed increase in bandwidth that Xfinity provided as an upgrade to the network. What is going on? From what I have seen, this is not isolated. There might be a meter issue on the Xfinity side that is not tracking data accurately.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_l0ww0c! Looking at that screenshot, it would appear the Xfinity Assistant had intended to say the current data usage this month is estimated to amount to over 3 times the monthly data limit by the end of the month based on how much data has been used so far.

If you and the members of your household have not changed how the internet services are being utilized, this concern will need to be investigated by our Customer Security Assurance team. One of our awesome members from their team can be reached by calling 1(800) 934-6489.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here