H

Wednesday, August 14th, 2024 1:48 PM

Individual Data usage on WiFi network

Like others have described, I am getting emails and texts about excessive data usage on my WiFi network.  Nothing in my household has changed, but I am seeing incredible data usage overall.  I can easily see the data usage report on the Xfinity website, but that does not tell me what is driving my alleged overages.  I only had one person in my house for the last month, so the overage might be a vehicle or a device.   I have tried the Xfinity App advance settings, but it never loads.  I know I could just sign up for a higher tier (2GB) to get unlimted, but I already have a 3 year contract for 1GB, which is already ridiculous.    

What else can I do?

Official Employee

• 

539 Messages

1 month ago

@HammspaceHave you tried changing your network's password? You can then isolate specific devices by logging them back into the network one at a time to see if something had a download going on in the background. Typical culprits are large downloads that get stuck on a loop consistently trying to download as it fails to complete. A good example of that would be video game downloads from gaming consoles or PCs and media files like pictures and videos.  

3 Messages

But how would I see which device it is?

3 Messages

Are you suggesting that I only have one device connected to the WiFi per day and watch the meter online?  That's absurd.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@Hammspace This method is the best practice for seeing which device may have programs still running in the background. We are not asking for you to connect one device per day.

Another option is reaching out to our security team if you fee that the usage is being reported incorrectly. This link goes into how you can locate and report your concerns to our security team https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse

Another option outside changing the password to find the device that's using the most data is to look at the usage for each device if it's available.  I know with our iPhones we can see the usage for each social media apps etc. 

If you want I can look into unlimited usage and review your usage history with you to see if you would be a good candidate for adding unlimited to your account. This way you don't have to worry about going over the 1.2 terabytes of usage. 

If this is your first overage for the year it's covered through us. I have a link that goes into more details https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data

Everything connected to the internet uses data such as our phones, tablets, smartwatches, smart tvs, any streaming movies, TV shows and our apps contribute to our data usage. 

If you would like to go over your usage please direct message me your first and last name along with your full service address. 
Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here