pmeister2020's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, September 10th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

incredibly slow downloads from AWS S3

I've been having a lot of trouble over the past hour or two with accessing work-related systems hosted on AWS (in one of the west coast zones) from my home network in Louisville, Colorado (zip 80027).  I've tried rebooting my cable modem and router.

I'm downloading a 55MB file from s3.amazonaws.com and it's taking MANY minutes.  The download speed has been between 10 KB/s and 50 KB/s.  Yes, KB not MB.

I've also tried google's default speed test several times, and that's been ranging between ~38-68 Mbps.  So there's seems to be some specific issue with S3, at least from the region where the file is hosted.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I found out the specific AWS zone for that server I'm trying to download from: US West (Oregon).

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

It's 1/21/2021 and I'm seeing exactly the same behavior. I am downloading a file from host "s3.amazonaws.com" and speeds are in the 0.1MB/s range, i.e. <1Mbit/s. I tried from two different computers, one WIFI and one Ethernet connected, and the results were the same.

I did Xfinity speed tests from two devices in my home and both of them came back with 20MBit/s (2.4Ghz WIFI, old laptop) and 300MBit/s (5Ghz Wifi, modern phone). I think with this I can rule out any internal or general Internet connectivity issues.

pmeister2020, even if you are East Coast and the AWS access node is West Coast, you should not experience such abysmally slow transfer rates, especially not on a continuous download. the TCP protocol is designed so that a load of packets can be sent one way before needing to be acknowledged the other way. I'll create a fresh post for this issue. It might have to do something with Xfinity's routing tables. Maybe this traffic is going around the globe a few times.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here