Mac94112's profile

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, April 3rd, 2024 2:49 AM

I'm so furious with Comcast and their unethical practices!

[Edited: "Solicitation"]

I have the whole home bundle, TV, internet, mobile & voip/landline with Comcast. I have had the latest gateway xb8t since it came out. Looks like they rolled out both firmware and software changes to the gateways w/o doing due diligence and thorough testing. I noticed the following upgrades WPA3, Docsis, intelligent wifi moved to firmware, meaning users can NO longer edit any of the wifi settings!

I'm connected via Ethernet to my Windows desktop but none of my Apple devices(iphone8+, ipad air 2, macbook air m1) are able to use my gateway's xfinity wifi as of last week. All 3 devices give an error message that they're not compatible withe WPA3 encryption which Comcast rolled carelessly! I thought all protocols are backward compatible? I guess they're not in this case because my devices are too old?!!

I was on the phone with Comcast last Friday, then again yesterday for 2 hours and they couldn't resolve the problem because they recognized their [Edited: "Inflammatory"] rolling out changes prematurely. They're going to send me another xb8t but in restricted mode with updates blocked.

I have the following issues:

1. Logging into the admin page 10.0.0.1 is extremely slow, takes 15-30 seconds to click on anything for the page to refresh. I tried the latest FireFox, Edge & Chrome, all 3 super slow.

2. Parental Control keyword or url blocking NO longer works.

3. [Edited: "Language"] that Comcast doesn't allow us to change the DNS and it's hard coded.

4. It doesn't allow me to add devices manually by ip or mac addr. Well, it does, but after adding, it deletes them!

5. It really [Edited: "Language"] that they took away the web version of xFi and we're stuck using a clumsy badly designed mobile app on super tiny devices to manage our stupid Comcast accounts etc. WE NEED THE WEB VERSION BACK!

6. Someone please tell me why in the age of cord cutting, I still use super expensive Comcast? My bill shouldn't be so high. It's really time to dump Comcast!

7. Is anyone else having similar issues?

8. [Edited: "Threats"] Start doing the right thing, helping your customers. Don't hide behind convoluted phone/voice instruction and trying to avoid putting us in touch with live agents. Things shouldn't be this hard!

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

5 months ago

So, I’m not an internet expert, but I do have the 2020 MacBook Pro Intel, an iPad ninth generation and the iPhone XS second generation. Recently, our router got hit with a power surge. A tech installed the XB8 which caused nothing but problems with our Home Secuity cameras (Xcam2). Two more techs came out and installed the XB7 router. They had some luck with cameras but not all connected. One camera was  replaced a couple times. Later the tech figured out that a node in the area was the issue. Yes, XFINITY does have some settings locked. Not sure if it’s because of the recent hack or if engineers just were told to do that. After an iOS update I had a security warning on my 2.4 GHz network for both our iPhones. No warning for the iPad or the Mac. So, check your networks. Do you have two networks, three networks or one network? When I had the XB8 three networks showed up, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz. I don’t have anything that connects to the 6 GHz. It might be meant for gaming platforms. When the router was changed back to XB7 I went back to 2 networks, the 2.4 and the 5. That’s when I had the security warning after an iOS update. I called Apple and they said the settings needed changed to WPA3. That was not an option for me because settings are locked. I  don’t think age has anything to do with it. I’d guess that an iOS or Mac OS update is causing a problem, but you can’t do any updates w/o Wi-Fi.  All Apple devices are pretty intuitive and set email and internet settings automatically. From time to time there may be a conflict with your internet provider. If you have pods and your home is not terrible large get rid of them and set up two networks. Try it from your Windows pc. If you are successful, set all mobile devices for the 2.4 GHz and your MacBook for the 5 GHz. Give it some time, like maybe 24-48 hours. Once you know you have a stable connections for your Apple devices, check for updates. Leave your house for a couple hours and take your devices with you then see if they all reconnect. Possibly you have some hardware issues with older Apple devices but I doubt it. My original legacy MacBook Pro 2012 model lasted 8 years and never lost a Comcast  connection. If you have any type of antivirus on ur Apple devices get rid of it. It could be your problems. Apple has Xprotect built in which is the Apple antivirus. If you insist on maleware software or anything like that try MalwareBytes Free. It’ll find any PUPs on there blocking a connection.  Last but not least, change your XFINITY PASSWORD. 

PS I have the bundle too, plus home security with recording and the Mobile. My bill is high too and I’ve considered cutting the cord but it hasn’t come to that yet. We call some of the techs distant relatives because they are at our house every few months. It gets that bad here, but we patiently worked with them and they listened  and stuff got resolved. 

Good luck. 

(edited)

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

Thank you LK for your thorough reply. I too only had 2.4 & 5 ghz and suddenly as of the update to wpa3, I also ended up with 6 ghz which none of my old devices using it. Also as we both mentioned, as of the updates the wifi settings are locked and they don't allow us to change any of the properties such as changing the channels, bandwidth, or WPA* options.  Two other errors that I'm receiving are: too many devices are trying to use the same channel! I only have 3 devices!! The other error by only my Apple devices is your password is incorrect! I copied the same exact wifi pw from the admin page, pasted it into my icloud apple notes, then from each device pasted them into the wifi connection, the error message specifically was, this is not a wpa3 password, something like that!!  I finally figured out the settings in the xFi mobile app how to change back to wpa2 only and everything is working for now, until the next update! But my problems are temporarily fixed until I receive the new restricted gateway in the mail. Thank you.

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

Okay, so your password for your admin page is not the password for your Wi-Fi networks. Go into the Xfinity app, hit the Wi-Fi tab at the bottom then click on Wi-Fi details. You should see both your networks. Click on the arrow on the right and hit the eyeball that is crossed out. You’ll see your Wi-Fi password.  Do that for both networks. You can just copy and paste then see if that gets you connected to the Wi-Fi network. As I said, keep your mobile devices on the lower band as it reaches out further and put your laptops/desk tops on the higher band.  If they send you the XB7 gateway, you should be fine. Good luck 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here