J

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, December 30th, 2021 7:46 AM

Closed

I upgraded my plan to 1.2Gbps internet speed but I am only getting 930 Mbps. Is this normal???

Recently, I upgraded my plan to Gigabit speed and rented a modem from Xfinity (XB7 3rd generation) but I am not getting enough speed for my plan. You can get 900Mbps speed paying $10 cheaper than my plan so I don't know why I have to pay extra... Someone help me please!

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

3 years ago

First. Is this with a WiFi or a hardwired ethernet connection ?

If it is the latter, are you using the ethernet port with the red colored line (2.5 Gigabit) on the XB7 ? Are you using at least a cat6 ethernet cable ? Does the device / computer that you are measuring the speed with support greater than gigabit speeds ? If it has only a 10/100/1000 port you will only get around 940 Mbps due to the ever-present ethernet overhead constraint.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@EG Hey thanks for your advice, it fixed my problem. Red stripe port with CAT8 cable... store rep was only interested in tricking me to get xfi complete service( I asked him if it was $14 a month and he said yes but still charged me $25) instead of explaining how the modem work..lol 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

My pleasure ! Glad you got it figured out ! Now closing your marked "Solved" topic. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

3 years ago

@jrpark0115

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We definitely want you to get the most out of your service with Xfinity. Please follow the tips on the two links provided. They may hold the answers you are looking for. If you are still experiencing slower speeds after following the tips found in the website, please reach back out so we can dive deeper into this issue and find a resolution. Thank you.

1. 10 Ways you might be killing your Home Wi-Fi signal: https://xfin.tv/2R61pX6

1. Improving Wi-Fi Network Performance: https://comca.st/320fSHo

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

If a wired problem it sounds like you are using a 1Gb NIC.  You need a 10Gb NIC, or maybe a 5Gb one will do, to get 1200 or higher.  Also use the 2.5Gb port on the modem to connect to your Ethernet port on your computer.

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

3 years ago

Darn echoes....

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

LOL.  LOL.  LOL.  LOL.

Contributor

• 

167 Messages

3 years ago

hey late to the party here but what results does the following link provide - https://internet.xfinity.com/network/health

Also 930MBps aint to shabby... Is there degradation in service? dropped connection? 

Lastly, what time of day, which browser, is this internet speed test data?

Just my .2 cents

Thanks and good luck.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Appreciate for your help guys! You guys are the best.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here