shmrljo007's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 25th, 2020 5:00 AM

Closed

I need to change my IP address.

Have to change my ip adress for security reasons but trying the "ipconfig/renew" command prompt method doesn't work.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@shmrljo007 wrote:

Have to change my ip adress for security reasons but trying the "ipconfig/renew" command prompt method doesn't work.

Which IP address are you referring to?  The public address the Comcast network assigns to your modem/gateway?  The 'ipconfig/renew' option only 'renews' the existing address for another 24 hour period.  You might try the 'ipconfig/release' command to get a new address, however for a PC/laptop/device, that only changes the address on your local network, usually a private address.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

You might look at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Router-External-IP-Address-Port-Forwarding/m-p/3290879/highlight/true#M312673

That thread suggests powering down the modem and router for 1 minute, and powering up the modem first, fully synced, then the router.

Might not be your exact scenario though.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Yeah the public address

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

4 years ago

Powercycling the modem won't result in a change of the public IP address. Neither will performing an IP release / renew if one is using a router. That would only release and renew the LAN / private address...

OP. If you are using a router that has a MAC address cloning feature, try cloning a different MAC address in to it. This will force their DHCP server to issue a different public IP address to your connection. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I'm not sure where to do that though. theres no option on my gateway settings to clone the MAC address

Expert

• 

104.1K Messages

4 years ago

The Comcast supplied gateway devices do not offer a MAC address cloning feature.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here