U

Friday, February 9th, 2024 8:23 PM

Closed

I need another hard line

Need to move my office and room doesn't have strong wifi, even with Pods. I need another hardline run to this room. I don't think it will be difficult, as the connection between incoming line and the split to TV/Modem is underneath this room - just need an additional line split out and run up. And clarification if I can use my own modem?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

8 months ago

@user_7f5r8e Thank you so much for reaching our for help with getting a new outlet/Jack installed to relocate your modem. We can definitly help set up an install appointment for you there would be a fee for the new outlet to be hooked up for you but you can also check out this page here for more information on the modems we support. https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/
We always provide the option to use a modem you own as long it is a supported device! Let me know if you would like help getting the installation set up. 

4 Messages

Thank you.  to be clear, I’m looking to add a modem not relocate my existing one. The only modem that shows on the page you shared looks like a fairly high priced one over $350… I would like to explore my options. The cable line enters the house Close to where I need the additional modem.  thought I could simply add a splitter to run another line to this room. The bottom line is that I need a hard line connection into corners of the house one on one side of house on the first floor, and the other other side of the house on the second floor  I would like to find the most cost-effective way to accomplish.  Is it possible to talk to someone?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_7f5r8e No worries even if we are not relocating your modem to the new outlet it would still be the same process if possible. One of our installation technicians would need to come in person to see if that second location can be connected to your home as you are requesting. In some areas, we do allow for 2 modems to be used on one account with the addition of a second internet package. Using two modems on one account without the additional plan would cause connection issues. The installation options range from $35.00 to $100.00 depending on if installation is possible, per outlet. For the monthly cost to be able to use the second modem, it would be whatever speed tier you picked so if your current speed/promotion is what you are looking for that cost would be x2. If you want more information we can definitely help go over details and set up the installation for you to see if we can get that room hooked up for you. If you could send our team a direct message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. To send a Direct Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a direct message.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 months ago

... I’m looking to add a modem not relocate my existing one ...

You could certainly run an Ethernet cable from your modem or gateway to wherever needed, and add an Ethernet switch if more than one line is required.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

4 Messages

8 months ago

Hello, it seems that no one is understanding what I’m asking.  I cannot easily run a cable from my existing modem because it is upstairs and on opposite side of the house.  It would be much easier to run a line from the cable splitter which is just underneath the room I need to add.  If this is not feasible or very expensive then yes of course I know I can run another line from my modem.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@user_7f5r8e Thank you for keeping us posted. In most cases, we can't add a second modem to the account. There are a few areas this is possible, but it's rare. If you've tried moving the modem to a different location for better coverage and you're still not getting the connection you need, I'd recommend looking into wiring your home with ethernet. This is not something our technicians are certified to do, but you can do it or hire a contractor to do it for you. This requires wall fishing ethernet to your rooms to give you a reliable connection throughout the whole home. Does this sound like something that could help?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

168 Messages

8 months ago

@user_7f5r8e - if you currently have the Coax cable in the room in question, you could use the MoCa devices to extend the Ethernet connection via the existing the Coax cable by using the Moca devices. And another option you could consider is to extend the Ethernet Over Powerline

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here