U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, January 27th, 2022 11:45 PM

Closed

how to unmerge dual band router

I just bought a smart lock for my front door. I have the lock installed in the door and was trying to connect it to the internet but it says that it only works with a 2.4GHz WIFI network and that I need to unmerge my dual band signal. 

I logged into the Xfinity app and see that if I go to advanced settings on my router I can select specific channels for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Is this what I want to do? Can somebody please walk me through step by step on how to unmerge the bands so I can connect my new device to the internet. Thanks. 

Official Employee

• 

695 Messages

2 years ago

Hello u/user_3699b7, thank you for reaching out to us. Did this super helpful support article [Modmail message] (https://comca.st/3IO7zDP) help you?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityXavier​ that article isn't helpful because it doesn't answer a basic question:  Are you all able to re-enable control over the dual band SSID on the XB7?  If it is unable to provide that basic functionality (needed to connect most iOT devices), then I'll need to return it to Xfinity and buy a 3rd party modem/router.  I've been on a chat with 'support' for over 3 hours trying to get that question answered but the support reps weren't even aware of this software limitation.  I would love a definitive and straight answer from someone.  

Thanks!

(edited)

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I’m having the same issue, any resolution here or is it to buy a third party router?

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Good morning, @Jkharris. Were you able to try the steps provided in this thread? If not, please follow the instructions given by @user_998f07 and let us know if that worked for you or not.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

PROBLEM SOLVED:  Hi All - had multiple calls and chats with tech support to no avail and, since I last checked it's not documented anywhere.  Tried a third time with support and got someone who was competenta and showed me where this setting hides:

You have to go to xfinity.com/myxfi.  Click "View Network Details" button or your network name.  On the next page, below your network / SSID name, click "See Network".  In the upper right hand corner of the web page click "Edit Wifi".  In the pop-up window, you'll see a checkbox to separate out 2.5 and 5 Ghz into two SSIDs.

Why this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere or why the majority of their tech support has NO CLUE about it, is beyond me.

Problem Solver

• 

637 Messages

Good Morning! We're glad to hear that you were able to get your Wi-Fi channels 'separated' so to speak! I know it is essential in some cases with some types of connecting equipment!
For future reference, you can also visit us online and follow the step by step instructions based upon the equipment you have using the following link: https://comca.st/3JjL612
Please let us know if you have any troubles, and we'd be happy to help further!

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here