U

Sunday, July 7th, 2024 1:49 PM

How to split WiFi networks in the router

How do I split the WiFi networks in the router ?  I changed the name but it changes both 2.4 and 5 ghz

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

3 months ago

This may or may not apply anymore as a lot of features / functionality have / has been disabled.. YMMV.

If you are not using any Xfi Pods, you can try separating the combined 2.4 and the 5.0 bands and give them two different broadcast names / SSID's;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi  

1 Message

@EG​ 

But what if I am using an xfi pod? My pod can only connect to 2.4, yet my modem doesn’t allow me to split bands and defaults to 5.0, which makes the pod useless, obviously. 

Expert

• 

106.2K Messages

@AERJPR​ Are you the original poster ?

Their pods will only function when the bands are combined (have the same SSID), not split.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Problem Solver

• 

570 Messages

3 months ago

Using the Xfinity App

1. Sign in to the Xfinity App with your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Select WiFi (from the bottom navigation on the Xfinity App).
  3. Select View WiFi equipment.
  4. Select Advanced settings.
  5. Select 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi.
  6. If you would like to select a specific WiFi channel, select Edit next to 2.4 or 5GHz.
    • A dialog window will appear.
  7. Choose the channel number from the Channel drop-down.
    • To complete the change, select Apply Changes at the bottom of the dialog window.

Note: Advanced WiFi settings for XB6 gateways (and newer models) with this software enhancement are not visible and can’t be managed from the Admin Tool or Xfinity App.

Problem Solver

• 

570 Messages

3 months ago

Using the Admin Tool

1. Connect to your WiFi network.
  2. Open a web browser, go to 10.0.0.1, and sign in.
    • If you haven't changed it, the default is:
      • Username: admin
      • Password: password
  3. Go to Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi.
    • To change your Channel Selection, select Edit next to the WiFi channel (2.4 or 5 GHz) you'd like to change.
      • Click the radio button for the channel selection field, then select your desired channel number.
    • To change your WiFi Mode, select Edit next to WiFi Mode and select your desired mode.
  4. Select Save Settings.

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

3 months ago

Hello, user_xwgro8 thank you for taking time out of your day to create a post. You've reached out to the right place for assistance with the network change question. I did want to help get the proper expectations that controlling functions inside the xFi modem is limited, but wanted to ensure you had the walk through with changing the 2.4/5 networks. 

- Were you able to see the great information our Forums expert @EG and Forums problem solver @MikeB39A provided with the walkthrough: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ? 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here