lsc0918-'s profile

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, April 13th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

How to setup Xfinity Gateway with an Access Point

I have an Xfinity Gateway and need WiFi to metal outbuilding about 50 ft in back yard.  Running Cat6 cable to outbuilding, how do I setup TP-Link AC1350 Access Point to the Xfinity Gateway, just hookup the cat6 cable to both?  Any other settings to adjust?

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

106K Messages

4 years ago

If you don't plan on putting the gateway in to bridge mode, you'll need to set up the TP Link to be a WAP / access point (disable DHCP) or you'll have an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

Without knowing the exact model of your Wireless Access Point, you're better off checking TP-Link's support site

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

This one, then? I think it's a bit of overkill for what's essentially a home network setup. For one thing, it requires a PoE injector, which fortunately the retail version comes boxed with, plus more advanced features like VLAN and Cloud Management.

It'll do the job perfectly, though, especially if the area served is a fairly large environment. 

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

The TP-Link is the Omada AC1350.  I want to be able us the Gateway wifi in the house and the AP for wifi in the outbuilding.

Thanks for your advice.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Yes - thats it.  Overkil? probably, but for the money, its worth it and I have 2 floors and a metal building to deal with.  So just turn off DHCP on the AP?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

4 years ago

Yes if you are not planning on putting the Comcast gateway device in to bridge mode.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here