U

Saturday, December 2nd, 2023 7:09 PM

Closed

How to setup a booster for a Xfinity box (xFi?) internet?

I have a tp-link router and I want to use it as a booster for my xFi modem+router combo. I appreciate it if someone could provide step-by-step instructions. Many thanks!

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

9 months ago

Ethernet WiFi routers have different capabilities depending on manufacturer, specific model number and firmware.

Your best bet?  Download the manual from TP-link support.  See if there is a repeater mode if you want to use it that way.  It will provide better service in Access Point mode if you can run Ethernet to where you need the WiFi and use it that way.  

3 Messages

Thanks for taking the time to write a response. Yes, I did that and the very first instruction was to login as admin and set the router as a booster. However, to do that I need to disconnect the xFi box and replace it with a modem, then connect the tp-link as the main router. Does that make sense? So I was hoping to learn the easy way of doing this (without replacing etc etc). Any thoughts? 

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_74yum8​  Modes they usually can run in, if supported in firmware.

Normal stand alone router mode with modem and/or Gateway in bridge mode (gateway set just as a pass through device)  -- what you saw.

AP mode.  Router as a WiFi Access Point.  You'd run Ethernet cat 6 cable to your gateway.  Devices could connect either to your gateway or the Access Point.  Sometimes can use the same SSID WiFi name, other times it would have to be unique.  The manual could tell you.

Repeater mode (If it has it).  You'd search for your Gateway's WiFi signal with the TP-Link, then connect to your gateway on the TP-Link.  It would then rebroadcast your gateway's SSID WiFi name.  It's slower because it's intercepting signal and re-transmitting it.  If you get it too far away from your gateway, it won't work well at all or be really slow, and may slow all of your WiFi devices down because you would be flooded with errors. 

3 Messages

Thanks so much, @flatlander3 for all the details. Also, I never thought about "If you get it too far away from your gateway, it won't work well at all or be really slow, and may slow all of your WiFi devices down because you would be flooded with errors. ", very good point. Thanks again!

Official Employee

• 

3.7K Messages

9 months ago

Hello @user_74yum8! Thanks for taking the time to reach out to our team on Forums. We appreciate you being a customer with us and my team is here to support you. 

I'm delighted to see that @flatlander3 has provided you with some very helpful and useful information regarding your booster questions/concerns. Please let us know if any further assistance is needed, we're here to help. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here