Closed

How to Enable the same Port Forwarding on more than one (1) PC

I have two (2) Windows 10 PC's on my LAN that need UDP Ports 5198 & 5199 and
TCP Port 5200 Port Forwarded.

The Xfinity App/ Manual Setup is only allowing me to configure 
one PC (DESKTOP-PC1).

The following error posts in Red Text when I try to configure 
the second PC (DESKTOP-PC2):

"This port is already assigned to DESKTOP-PC1. 
Remove this rule or delete the port forward to DESKTOP-PC1 in order to proceed"  

What needs to be done to allow the configuration of the second PC to be completed?

Best Regards...M

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

156 Messages

2 years ago

um....

If you _could_ tell the gateway to forward port 5200 to two different hosts, how would it know which host any given incoming packet is for?

Do you want it to forward ALL incoming traffic on those ports to BOTH hosts?

I've never had occasion to do that, and I'm not sure any gateway or router will let you do that.

In fact, the help file for my asus router specifically says (yes, including that text color):

Please note that each port can only be used by a single LAN device.

Two PCs cannot communicate via the same port. If you have added a

FTP service using port 21, port 21 will no longer be available for the

next service. Please avoid port conflicts as they will lead to rule failures.

Are you really sure you want to do that?

HTH

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@zip21222​ 

I will be using the Echolink application from at least two (2) computers but not at the same time, the reason I would prefer opening the ports for all devices and not to one PC. Is that possible with the Xfinity Router?  Thanks

Contributor

• 

156 Messages

@user_0027f8 

I don't know of any gateway or router that will let you do that.

Just looked at the Echolink website and they seem pretty insistent that you should only use Echolink on one machine per public IP.

I think Echolink really needs to look into allowing alternate port assignments for their product, but until they do, you might want to consider one of the following:

- If you will NEVER have both PCs powered on at the same time, you could statically assign them the same IP address. Be very careful though, cuz if they're ever powered on at the same time they will both go haywire network-wise.

- Try Echolink's proxying feature

BTW - it seems like Echolink only uses 5200/TCP for outgoing connections, so you probably don't need to forward that port.

HTH

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

I configured my TP Link router years ago to forward these ports but not by machine.

I will use the proxy on the second machine but unfortunately this doesn't always provide a reliable connection to all users on their netwok so when I encounter a connectivity problem again I will change to another proxy server which is easy enough to do.

Thanks for your input and recommendations.  0027f8

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

2 years ago

@user_0027f8 Hello! If you need 2 devices to receive the data on the same port then you need to forward it to a single device that connects those 2 additional devices to the network ( say another router for instance ).

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityAbbie​ Hi Abbie, I'm not exactly sure I understand.

If I understand you correctly I would need to purchase a router like a Synology or TP Link and put the Xfinity Modem/Router into Bridge Mode and use my own router for my LAN and only use the Xfinity one for access to the Xfinity Network? Thanks 0027f8

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

2 years ago

You wouldn't be able to have identical port forwards set for both computers, I will admit that  this is a bit past what we would normally troubleshoot, but this reddit post may help explain this further or in a better way. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here